Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Newbie for solaris 10 and zfs Post 302317780 by jlliagre on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 02:07:10 AM
Old 05-20-2009
/var is a separate filesystem from / in your setup.
You can set a quota on /var if you want it not to affect the remaining filesystems.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 10 ZFS

I'm typing on a nice Sunblade 100 that is willing to be a lab rat for my experiments. I installed Solaris 10 and want to mess with ZFS. Does anyone have any docs on how to install zfs or how to convert my current UFS filesystems to ZFS? Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with ZFS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to take snapshot in solaris (using ZFS or ....)

Hi, I am working on Network Management Software product. This is supported both windows and solaris platform. I need to take the snapshot of the solaris server ( which installed our product), like vmware in windows. I think using ZFS files system, we can take the snapshot in solaris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgmk.84
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Need to take snapshot in solaris (using ZFS or ....)

Hi, I am working on Network Management Software product. This is supported both windows and solaris platform. I need to take the snapshot of the solaris server ( which installed our product), like vmware in windows. I think using ZFS files system, we can take the snapshot in solaris 10 but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgmk.84
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 ZFS ACL help

All, Does anyone know of a simple way to traverse a file system and collect all ACL's (or ACE's as they are called now)? We use to be able to use getfacl fairly easily for this task but now we are forced to use -v or -V with the 'ls' command to get the extended permissions for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris zone on ZFS

..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
2 Replies

6. Solaris

dual boot solaris/solaris zfs file system

Hi, I am running into a some problems creating a dual boot system of 2 solaris instances using ZFS file system and I was wondering if someone can help me out. First some back ground. I have been asked to change the file system of our server from UFS to ZFS. Currently we are using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estammis
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris ZFS question

What I am trying to do is reuse space that was used from an old solaris zone and take that space used in the 2 disk mirror from the 2nd zpool and relocate it to /var/audit in the root pool. The pysical server has 4 disks. 2 disks are a mirrored root zone(c1t0d0s0,c1t1d0s0) and the other were the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpolachak
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Install Solaris 11 with ZFS

Hi, I'm not expert with solaris. I Familiar with Linux variant only. Could anyone point me to right tutorial? I got one > but not sure it can be use or not. I'm doing fresh install for new server. The server spec did not come out yet. Please assist me. Thanks. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzainal
17 Replies
QUOTAON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						QUOTAON(8)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff -- turn filesystem quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] -a quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Quotaon announces to the system that disk quotas should be enabled on one or more filesystems. Quotaoff announces to the system that the specified filesystems should have disk quotas turned off. The filesystem must be mounted and it must have the appropriate mount option file located at its root, the .quota.ops.user file for user quota configuration, and the .quota.ops.group file for group quota configuration. Quotaon also expects each filesystem to have the appropriate quota data files located at its root, the .quota.user file for user data, and the .quota.group file for group data. These filenames and their root location cannot be overridden. By default, quotaon will attempt to enable both user and group quotas. By default, quotaoff will disable both user and group quotas. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotaon/quotaoff will enable/disable any filesystems with an existing mount option file at its root. The mount option file specifies the types of quotas that are to be configured. -g Only group quotas will be enabled/disabled. The mount option file, .quota.ops.group, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -u Only user quotas will be enabled/disabled. The mount option file, .quota.ops.user, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -v Causes quotaon and quotaoff to print a message for each filesystem where quotas are turned on or off. Specifying both -g and -u is equivalent to the default. Quotas for both users and groups will automatically be turned on at filesystem mount if the appropriate mount option file and binary data file is in place at its root. FILES
Each of the following quota files is located at the root of the mounted filesystem. The mount option files are empty files whose existence indicates that quotas are to be enabled for that filesystem. .quota.user data file containing user quotas .quota.group data file containing group quotas .quota.ops.user mount option file used to enable user quotas .quota.ops.group mount option file used to enable group quotas SEE ALSO
quota(1), quotactl(2), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotaon command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution October 17, 2002 4.2 Berkeley Distribution