Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Removing a filename which has special characters passed from a pipe with xargs Post 302317520 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 19th of May 2009 07:59:22 AM
Old 05-19-2009
Try this:

Code:
find /history_directory -mtime +7 | xargs rm -fr {} \;

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters in file

I have file special.txt with the following data. <header info> 123$ty5%98&0asd 1@356fgbv78 09*&^5jkns43( ...........some more rows. In my output file, I want to eliminate all the special characters in my file and I want all other data. need some help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open filename with special characters in Perl

Hi All, I am facing a weird problem. I have got a directory structure copied from windows to Linux. Some of the folders are named like /gfs/data/Dow Jones $5/ DJ FCBOT_O_tick_1998.zip /gfs/data/Dow Jones $5/ DJ FCBOT_O_tick_2000.CSV /gfs/data/Dow Jones... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitrashatru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from filename recursively

hi: i have several thousand files from users and of course they use all kind of characters on filenames. I have things like: My special report (1999 ) Lisa & Jack's work.doc crazy. How do I remove all this characters in the current dir and subdirs too? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing special characters @ EOL

How to remove special chracters @ END OF EACH LINE in a file file1.txt: 0003073413^M 0003073351^M 0003073379^M 0003282724^M 0003323334^M 0003217159^M 0003102760^M 0002228911^M I used the below command but it is not working ? perl -pi -e 's/^M\/g' file1.txt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe to "xargs rm" : filename with spaces

Hi all, Am piping a list of files to "xargs rm -v". The files may have spaces in their names. Please advise how do i deal with it... :confused: Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL

I'm very new to awk and sed and I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm trying to search a file for a string with special characters and this string is a command line argument to a simple script. ./myscript "searchpattern" file #!/bin/sh awk "/$1/" $2 > dupelistfilter.txt sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters

Dear Friends, I want to remove text between two patters. Problem is, it has random special characters like \ / | * ` ~ ! $ etc. These random special characters has no fixed length. But these special characters are appearing between a fixed pattern e.g. DM&^%#|#!\/?CT Expected output... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Removing extra characters in Filename

Hi, It's my first time here... anyways, I have a simple problem with these filenames. This is probably too easy for you guys: ABC_20101.2A.2010_01 ABD_20103.2E.2010_04 ABE_20107.2R.2010_08 Expected Output: ABC_20101 ABD_20103 ABE_20107 The only pattern available are the ff: 1) All... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joule
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a range of characters in a filename

hi, I have quite a bunch of files with annoyingly long filenames. I wanted to cut the range of characters from 9-18 and just retain the first 8 characters and the .extension. any suggestion how to do it. thanks much. original filename: 20000105_20000105_20100503.nc.asc output filename:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters - Control M

I have developed a small script to remove the Control M characters that get embedded when we move any file from Windows to Unix. For some reason, its not working in all scenarios. Some times I still see the ^M not being removed. Is there anything missing in the script: cd ${inputDir}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
7 Replies
LDD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    LDD(1)

NAME
ldd -- list dynamic object dependencies SYNOPSIS
ldd [-a] [-v] [-f format] program ... DESCRIPTION
The ldd utility displays all shared objects that are needed to run the given program or to load the given shared object. Contrary to nm(1), the list includes ``indirect'' dependencies that are the result of needed shared objects which themselves depend on yet other shared objects. Zero, one or two -f options may be given. The argument is a format string passed to rtld(1) and allows customization of ldd's output. If one is given, it sets LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS_FMT1. If two are given, they set LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS_FMT1 and LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS_FMT2, respectively. See rtld(1) for details, including a list of recognized conversion characters. The -a option displays the list of all objects that are needed by each loaded object. This option does not work with a.out(5) binaries. The -v option displays a verbose listing of the dynamic linking headers encoded in the executable. See the source code and include files for the definitive meaning of all the fields. EXAMPLES
The following is an example of a shell pipeline which uses the -f option. It will print a report of all ELF binaries in the current direc- tory, which link against libc.so.6: find . -type f | xargs -n1 file -F ' ' | grep ELF | cut -f1 -d' ' | xargs ldd -f '%A %o ' | grep libc.so.6 SEE ALSO
ld(1), nm(1), rtld(1) HISTORY
A ldd utility first appeared in SunOS 4.0, it appeared in its current form in FreeBSD 1.1. The -v support is based on code written by John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com> BSD
May 15, 2008 BSD