Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find, if exists then append for file with same name Post 302316972 by RubinPat on Sunday 17th of May 2009 02:10:21 PM
Old 05-17-2009
find, if exists then append for file with same name

I will have to process multiple files with same name [filename.txt] everyday.
My requirement is:
If on a certain day I see that filename.txt exists then the contents of the filename.txt would be added/append
to the former file contents.Each time it sees the file the content would be added.But the header
should not be added
For ex: There exists this file
filename.txt
First Name|Second Name
John|Marshall

Next time I get the same file
filename.txt
First Name|Second Name
Jack|Dowell

I need the next file to become like
filename.txt
First Name|Second Name
John|Marshall
Jack|Dowell
Can you please suggest something? Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to check whether particular file exists and to find its size

I want to find the size of particular file exists in a particular directory and i wnt to zip it. In the below mentioned code it should check the MQ.log in the particular directory.Please correct my code so that it will check for particular MQ.log but i could not able to check whether the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balachandar
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a script in UNIX to find a file if another file exists

So I have a lot of Java applications on my servers all having their own folder from the applications subdirectory. Now, I need to do the following. Search all the applications subdirectories for message.jar. If the message.jar file exists, I need to search the application directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmdawg
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Find a file and xarg mv to append date to file

Hello All, What I would like to do is search for a file and then run a mv command to rename the file to have todays date appended to it. The find when I run it finds eight or so files and I would like to append a date stamp to each file. If possible using one line command would be great. Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacktravine
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find, copy, and append into one file

Hi, I am trying to do something relatively easy, but am having some trouble getting it to work. I have multiple files called "distances.log" in numerous subdirectories and sub-subdirectories within a directory. I would like the contents of each of these "distances.log" files to be appended to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie.. Find if a file exists and open, if not create the desired file..

Hey all, I'm brand new to script writing, I'm wanting to make a script that will ask for a file and then retrieve that file if it exists, and if it doesn't exist, create the file with the desired name, and I'm completely stuck.. so far.. #! bin/bash echo "Enter desired file" read "$file" if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Statement to find if an entry exists in a file

I need to check if an entry input by the user is in a file. If so, I need to run a command, and if it does not exist then it should output entry does not exist. So I have so far... echo "Enter record:" read record //command || //command Can I use an if statement to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in a file and append character

Hi Experts, Is there a way to find a string in a file then append a character to that string then save the file or save to another file. Here is an example. >cat test.txt NULL NULL NULL 9,800.00 NULL 1,234,567.01 I want to find all NON NULL String and add a dollar sign to those... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find out whether a file exists with the help of regular expression?

Hi all I have a list of file names in array. But this file names are not exact. so i want to search whether a file exists or not using regular expression. code snippet: if ; then echo "File exists" else echo "File does not exits" fi over here "*EQST*" should be treated as a regular... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append users if GID exists

I have thousands of users assigned various roles. The role header defines the GID that they should have. If I can get all the GID information into /etc/group format I can upload the output file and easily assign all users into the desired GID. Right now I can get an output file like this:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file and if exists , execute a different file

Good Morning All, I'm a novice and please excuse me if i did miss some of the forum rules. What my intention is, i have a file (services) residing @ /u01/Oracle/services. I know i can use the find command to find the "service" file. I get this file from a windows box and there is no certain... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkingeye
8 Replies
uuencode(n)						   encode/decoding a binary file					       uuencode(n)

NAME
uuencode - encode/decoding a binary file SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8 package require uuencode ?1.0.1? ::uuencode::encode string ::uuencode::decode string ::uuencode::uuencode ?-name string? ?-mode octal? (-file filename | ?--? string) ::uuencode::uudecode (-file filename | ?--? string) DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the uuencode(1) and uudecode(1) commands. This encoding packs binary data into printable ASCII characters. ::uuencode::encode string returns the uuencoded data. This will encode all the data passed in even if this is longer than the uuencode maximum line length. If the number of input bytes is not a multiple of 3 then additional 0 bytes are added to pad the string. ::uuencode::decode string Decodes the given encoded data. This will return any padding characters as well and it is the callers responsibility to deal with handling the actual length of the encoded data. (see uuencode). ::uuencode::uuencode ?-name string? ?-mode octal? (-file filename | ?--? string) ::uuencode::uudecode (-file filename | ?--? string) UUDecode a file or block of data. A file may contain more than one embedded file so the result is a list where each element is a three element list of filename, mode value and data. OPTIONS
-filename name Cause the uuencode or uudecode commands to read their data from the named file rather that taking a string parameter. -name string The uuencoded data header line contains the suggested file name to be used when unpacking the data. Use this option to change this from the default of "data.dat". -mode octal The uuencoded data header line contains a suggested permissions bit pattern expressed as an octal string. To change the default of 0644 you can set this option. For instance, 0755 would be suitable for an executable. See chmod(1). EXAMPLES
% set d [uuencode::encode "Hello World!"] 2&5L;&@5V]R;&0A % uuencode::uudecode $d Hello World! % set d [uuencode::uuencode -name hello.txt "Hello World"] begin 644 hello.txt +2&5L;&@5V]R;&0` ` end % uuencode::uudecode $d {hello.txt 644 {Hello World}} KEYWORDS
encoding, uuencode base64 1.0.1 uuencode(n)