Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Purpose D option in useradd command Post 302316910 by vr_mari on Sunday 17th of May 2009 08:58:07 AM
Old 05-17-2009
Thanks

Thanks for the link...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to create new users without using "useradd" command and user Interaction.

Don't want to use useradd command to create a new user I am doing manual addition of accounts. Actually I am writing a script and I am working on RedHat7.1 system. What I am trying to do is run the script and pass all the values of the username password and group as command line parameters. Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syedifti
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

option for ls command

i'm using SunOS 5.7 and I know theres a ls option for seeing what kind of files are in a directory. I was wondering if there was a ls option that could see if the files are txt or files that can be opened in vi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who can help me how to add user without 'useradd' command

Can any one tell me if i dun want using 'useradd' command to add new user, it is have any command i can use to add a new user?and any extra step needed for my local environment? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: foong
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purpose of 2>&1 in the command

Can any body kindly tell me what is the purpose of 2>&1 in the following commands. nohup ./append_import.sh 1 > import1.out 2>&1 < /dev/null & nohup ./append_import.sh 2 > import2.out 2>&1 < /dev/null & (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmunir
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd command

what if useradd ? or useradd * is given as input???? if it wont execute. then what are the values for name shud be avoided like ? * (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with useradd, -p option in Solaris 10

Good day all. I'm trying to add a user with useradd and the -p option to assign a project name, but the result is that the user is created with an error message: "UX: useradd: user.root name should be all lower case or numeric." The command: useradd -d /export/home/tester -g rtpgrp -G... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRH
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purpose of - (hypen) in script or command line

Hi, I am new for unix and I am following ABS guide. What is the purpose of - (hypen ) in the below command and What it will do in this?. Can anyone explain it in detail. Rest of the things in the below command I understood somewhat. (cd /source/directory && tar cf - . ) | (cd /dest/directory &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GID,Secondary ID in useradd command

Hi All, I am writing the script for user creation and want to use GID and Secondary group id from previous similar profile.Any one help me how we will take out GID & Secondary and use in useradd command. $ id -a test uid=6236(test) gid=999(local) groups=999(local),9003(testadmin) Above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: susindram
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Fsck command without any option

Dear all, I want to execute fsck command,can i execute fsck command without any option asking for more confidence. Thanks and Regards Monoj Das (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monojcool
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with useradd command

Hi, I want to create multiple user in same home directory. Is it possible ? If possible then please tell me how. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies
link(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   link(1)

NAME
link, unlink - Creates an additional directory entry for an existing file SYNOPSIS
link file1 file2 unlink file STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: link: XCU5.0 unlink: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. DESCRIPTION
The link command performs the link() system call to create an additional directory entry for an existing file, file1. In effect, the underlying file then has two names, file1 and file2 (either of these arguments can be a pathname). The old and new entries share equal access rights to the underlying file. The unlink command performs the unlink() system call to remove a link to file created by link. The unlink command removes the directory entry specified by the file parameter and, if the entry is a hard link, decrements the link count of the file referenced by the link. You should be familiar with the link() and unlink() system calls before you use these commands. The link and unlink commands do not issue error messages when the associated system call is unsuccessful. NOTES
The link and unlink commands cannot be used to link and unlink directories. EXIT STATUS
The link and unlink commands both exit with the following: The link() or unlink() system call succeeded. Too few or too many arguments specified. The link() or unlink() system call failed. SEE ALSO
Commands: fsck(8), ln(1) Functions: link(2), unlink(2) link(1)