Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: no shell error
Operating Systems Solaris no shell error Post 302316420 by sbk1972 on Friday 15th of May 2009 03:18:58 AM
Old 05-15-2009
The error states that the shell you defined via the user account isnt there. So, looking at the path you've set it too, e.g. the last : on the below example.

sms-svc:x:6:10:SMS Service User:/export/home/sms-svc:/bin/csh

ls /bin/csh
-r-xr-xr-x 2 root bin 159240 Jan 3 2006 /bin/csh

If the path of the shell you defined is there, then check the /etc/shells is present. Mine wasnt, so I created a file called shells and filled it with shell goodness.

SBK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Error when trying to use PHP shell.

Hi, Now that I'm going to be using my Mac as a web host, I decided to use the PHP shell. However, when I type php straight in the terminal, the session freezes. Is there anything wrong that I'm doing? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny_10
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell for..do done error

#!/bin/bash if ; then echo "error" fi release_name=$3 version=$4 cd $2; for line in `ls` do if ; then echo " do ..." $1 $2/$line $2/$line $release_name $version fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell error

Can someone please correct this #!/bin/ksh export CURR_TS=`date +"%Y-%m-%d-%H.%M.%S"` i=1 touch ./alldbgroups_${CURR_TS}.dat touch ./alldbusers_${CURR_TS}.dat while i<4 do echo "Now processing test{$i}" >> alldbgroups_${CURR_TS}.dat echo "Now processing test{$i}" >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

01.30 Invalid shell error

Hi, I am getting the error 01.30 Invalid shell error I am running the bash shell script in the korn login shell. I have mentioned the #!/bin/bash statement in the my script but not sure why it is giving this error to me.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in Shell script

Hello All, I am newbe to scripting and have just taken over following script from previous developer. I am getting following error when running the script. line 70: syntax error near unexpected token `do Could some help me to rectify the error please. Thanks in advance for your... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahadia
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell error

Now a days, whenever I am log in to the Unix server, its giving a error saying ${HOME:-.}/.profile: /home/kdas2/inst_swtch: not found mnand504@hcsdev02:$ORACLE_SID:pts/0:$PWD \296> Not a single Unix command is working, even I am not able to edit my .profile using vi editor. can anyone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with using a shell command(looks more generic error)

Hi, This error is actually out of implementing the command posted here - https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/155589-remove-blank-lines-merge-lines-shell.html Here is the error i get - awk: Input line xxxxx cannot be longer than 3,000 bytes. The source line number is 1.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scirpt error

I am not getting 1 for the failure scenario for my below code. any help would be greatly appreciated. If the input is invalid i should get exit. But in the below scenario i am not getting the message exit o. ksh -x client_check.ksh sun + + hostname hn=us + ] + client_check.ksh: test:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax error C shell

Hello, I have a newbe syntax error but I cant find it syntax error: unexpected end of file #!/bin/csh # pe request #$ -pe mpi_16 32 #### 16 core : 'mpi_16 16' || 24 core : 'mpi_24 24 ' # our Job name #$ -N test2MD #$ -S /bin/sh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dulceC
1 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)