Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix (not Linux) on x86 chips? Post 302316278 by jwebb_2112 on Thursday 14th of May 2009 03:25:25 PM
Old 05-14-2009
Depends on the flavor of Unix.

There are some that will run on x86 hardware. As mentioned before, solaris has both sparc and x86/x86_64 architectures.

Sco, bsd variants -- just to name a few, also run on x86 hardware.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clustering solution for RH Linux AS and Solaris x86/AMD 64

Dear All Experts, Would like to know the maturity/ stability of Redhat Linux AS 3.0 and Solaris. My organization need to setup cluster solution. We are well-versed with Veritas Cluster on Solaris. We are thinking of waiting for certification support of the various ISV like Oracle, Veritas... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual boot x86 Sol 10, and Linux

I've loaded sol 10, and I left 20 Gig of 70 free, I can't seem to find a straight forward proc. for loading the Linux RH. Does anyone have one, or can they point me to one ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
0 Replies

3. Linux

Linux ES 4 Update 4 (x86)

I have cdrom with the following files which I copieed on my hard drive. RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc1.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc4.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc2.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc5.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc3.iso What shell I do now to upgrade linux version. :o Thank you zam (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
6 Replies

4. Linux

linux-gate - x86 - a few questions

I'm aware of the linux-gate VDSO used to implement the sysenter mechanism for system calls. On older kernels this was mapped to a static location in the address space of each process. Newer kernels allow this to be dynamically located (though I don't think it's used by any distribution yet). How... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: G_Morgan
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What are Your Favorite Chips? Mine are Doritos Nacho Cheesier!

By far, Doritos Nacho Cheesier are the best tasting chips, well at least too me. Have you tried them? What are your favorite chips? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

veritas volume manager for x86 linux

Dear All, I am running 32 bit RHEL5 in vmware platform ( windows XP ). Is there any free version of veritas volume manager available, if yes please provide the link. Regards, snjksh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snjksh
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

40 years of chips

I've been thinking about modern CPUs. Apart from x86 and SPARC, is there any other 'kind' of CPU used today in computers (not in playstation3, phones and similar) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
6 Replies

8. SuSE

Upgrading from Suse Linux 10.1(x86-64)

Hi I don't know if this is good place for this post. I`m using a laptop whit suse Linux 10.1 installed on it (since I bought it) and its only Importance is one industrial 3d scan software installed on it. its an old laptop whit an old version of Linux is it possible to backup this installed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkhb75
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Apple looking to switch to using in-house ARM chips for their HW.

Hi guys and gals... Intel reportedly expects Apple to start the Mac's transition to ARM next year - 9to5Mac (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
addbadsec(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     addbadsec(1M)

NAME
addbadsec - map out defective disk blocks SYNOPSIS
addbadsec [-p] [ -a blkno [blkno...]] [-f filename] raw_device DESCRIPTION
addbadsec is used by the system administrator to map out bad disk blocks. Normally, these blocks are identified during surface analysis, but occasionally the disk subsystem reports unrecoverable data errors indicating a bad block. A block number reported in this way can be fed directly into addbadsec, and the block will be remapped. addbadsec will first attempt hardware remapping. This is supported on SCSI drives and takes place at the disk hardware level. If the target is an IDE drive, then software remapping is used. In order for software remapping to succeed, the partition must contain an alternate slice and there must be room in this slice to perform the mapping. It should be understood that bad blocks lead to data loss. Remapping a defective block does not repair a damaged file. If a bad block occurs to a disk-resident file system structure such as a superblock, the entire slice might have to be recovered from a backup. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. If more than one block number is specified, the entire list should be quoted and block numbers should be separated by white space. -f Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. The bad blocks are listed, one per line, in the specified file. -p Causes addbadsec to print the current software map. The output shows the defective block and the assigned alternate. This option cannot be used to print the hardware map. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?p0. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
disks(1M), diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the addbadsec, diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS "format" utility; however, to label, analyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 addbadsec(1M)