Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please help to write a executable script for extracting some parts of a file Post 302315780 by iammitra on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 08:04:27 AM
Old 05-13-2009
Hallo ghostdog74,
I am sorry if I am again making any mistake. I used the code as you said. but still there is some problem in o.close()

Code:
#! /usr/bin/python
import sys
inputfile=sys.argv[1]
f=0;i=0
for line in open(inputfile):
    line=line.strip()
    if line.startswith("+++++++++++"): 
        f=0
        o.close()
    if "Taxonomy:" in line: 
        f=1;i=i+1
        o=open("out_"+str(i)+".txt","w")
    if f:
        print >>o, line

The error is :
Code:
mitra:testNextPart mitra$ ./2ndprocess-2.py 1st-output.txt 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./2ndprocess-2.py", line 9, in <module>
    o.close()
NameError: name 'o' is not defined

If I make one false line(o=) as below
Code:
#! /usr/bin/python
import sys
inputfile=sys.argv[1]
f=0;i=0

for line in open(inputfile):
    line=line.strip()
    if line.startswith("+++++++++++"): 
        f=0
        o.close()
    if "Taxonomy:" in line: 
        f=1;i=i+1
    if f:
        print >>o, line

Then it works perfectly (only creating one extra blank file out_0.txt)
But can you please tell me whats the problem. Sorry if I am disturbing you so much. But I am really trying to learn.
Best regards,
Mitra.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter parts of a big file using awk or sed script

I need an assistance in file generation using awk, sed or anything... I have a big file that i need to filter desired parts only. The objective is to select (and print) the report # having the string "apple" on 2 consecutive lines in every report. Please note that the "apple" line has a HEX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apalex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling an Executable C file from the script (URGENT HELP PLX ! )

hi i'm trying to use tcl/tk on unix machine to call an executable C file .. i am trying just a simple button like this one button .list -text "LIST" -command filename pack .list -padx 10 -pady 10 but its giving me error message when i save it in a file eg script.tcl the button is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phantom308
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running command prompt executable file in shell script

hi i have file extentioned with test.vbs. i am able to run this file n execute through command promt but i dont know how to run in shell script example: file name is test.vbs which contains strSoundFile = "C:\windows\Media\Notify.wav" Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") strCommand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atl@mav
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting parts of a file.

Hello, I have a XML file as below and i would like to extract all the lines between <JOB & </JOB> for every such occurance. The number of lines between them is not fixed. Anyways to do this awk? ============ <JOB APR="1" AUG="1" DEC="1" FEB="1" JAN="1" JUL="1" JUN="1" MAR="1" MAY="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivat79
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically select records from several files and then run a C executable file inside the script

Dear list its my first post and i would like to greet everyone What i would like to do is select records 7 and 11 from each files in a folder then run an executable inside the script for the selected parameters. The file format is something like this 7 100 200 7 100 250 7 100 300 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gtolis
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write an executable file in Unix

Hi, I want to write an executable file in unix env to go to a particular path instead of always typing the long path cd /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/scripts/prejib/sample. I have tried with the below script in but not working . please help me bash-3.00$ cat a.sh #!/bin/sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prejib
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting parts from an absolute path

Hi, How can I extract parts from an absolute path? For example : The absolute path is /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/dir5.I need the relative path starting with directory given as parameter : for instance if the parameter is dir3 then the result should be dir3/dir4/dir5 I need generic solution... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mortanon
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search a particular String form a file a write to another file using perl script

I have file which contains a huge amount of data. I need to search the pattern Message id. When that pattern is matched I need to get abcdeff0-1g6g-91g3-1z2z-2mm605m90000 to another file. Kindly provide your input. File is like below Jan 11 04:05:10 linux100 |NOTICE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raysf
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing parts of ten digits number by parts

I have number in file which contains date and serial number: 2013101000. The last two digits are serial number (00). So maximum of serial number is 100. After reaching 100 it becomes 00 with incrementing 10 which is day with max 31. after reaching 31 it becomes 00 and increments 10... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
31 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to encrypt the xls file using executable jar in Linux SUSE 11.4

Dear Experts, I am an ERP consultant and would like to learn shell script. We are working on Linux SUSE 11.4 and I am very new to shell scripting. We can manually encrypt an excel file using "executable jar" through command prompt by placing the jar file & the file to be encrypted on a physical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nithin226
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)