Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl explain syntax !!!
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users perl explain syntax !!! Post 302315462 by cbkihong on Tuesday 12th of May 2009 11:02:50 AM
Old 05-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
From the hash 'this', get the value associated with the key 'localtion', and treat it as a reference to a scalar.
This is not really correct.

$this is a hash reference. That is, a reference to a hash. $$this{'location'} dereferences $this to access the value associated with the "location" key.

Another way to write this is $this->{'location'} = 'xxxxxxx';

You may easily confirm this by using Data::Dumper to inspect complex data structure.

Code:
C:\Users\bernardchan>perl -MData::Dumper -e "$$this{'location'}='xxxx'; print Dumper($this)"
$VAR1 = {
          'location' => 'xxxx'
        };

C:\Users\bernardchan>perl -MData::Dumper -e "$this->{'location'}='xxxx'; print Dumper($this)"
$VAR1 = {
          'location' => 'xxxx'
        };

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl doubt plz explain....

hi all i wrote a shell script which uses perl script my code is : >cat filename | while read i >do >perl -e 'require "/home/scripts/abc.pl" ; abc("$i")' >done perl script used will simply check syntax of Cobol programs but it didn't work for me so i asked my colleague he suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Please explain this for me: $hexdigit = (0 .. 9, 'a' .. 'f')[$num & 15];

This is taken from perlop. I can't understand what's going on, please can someone explain this for me? $hexdigit = (0 .. 9, 'a' .. 'f'); to get a hexadecimal digit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksheller
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain following sed syntax please

Thanks to this forum I have managed to work out a solution to my problem and actually understand most of it, but one thing is confusing me and I am sure someone here can explain. I need to insert a piece of txt into a file. This txt is awk '{ sub(/$/,"\r"); print }' $JCL_WBB50103_EFTOUT >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hukcjv
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl syntax help

Im new at scripting and im trying to write a script using perl that will make sure there are 2 command line integer arguments and then check if the 2nd argument is greater than the first. i believe im close but still receive my error message even when i have 2 arguments and the second part gives me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please explain what tr#A-Za-z0-9+/# -_#; means in perl?

Can someone please explain what tr#A-Za-z0-9+/# -_#; means in perl? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain perl formatting commands

Could you please tell the meaning of Below mentioned perl script lines: format OWNER_TOTAL = @< Owner Code @<<<<<<total: @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @###### #.## $prev_cust_type, $prev_owner_code,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

can you explain this perl command?

I am using this line of perl code to change the file format and remove ^M at the end of each line in files: perl -i -pe's/\r$//;' <name of file here> Can you explain to me what this code does, and translate it into bash/awk/sed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl syntax

I'm a newbie to perl scripting. Can someone please explain the syntax below. Specifically what does -> and => do? $tz->site( => $site); (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl syntax

Query with perl syntax Aim: is to change a perl script to use a new file I was required to replace - entries \"$entries\" with -lib <full_path_to_filename> So in the code detector.pm sub rundetector { my $class = shift; mkdir($resultDirectory); my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Perl/Array Sorting : Can someone please explain below code $h{$_}++

sub uniq { my %h; return grep { !$h{$_}++ } @_ } The above code is to remove duplicates from array. I am having hard time understanding below things (basically around highlighted code in bold)- when was the value inserted in hash? and are we only adding a key in Hash not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tanu
1 Replies
scrl(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    scrl(3XCURSES)

NAME
scrl, scroll, wscrl - scroll a window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int scrl(int n); int scroll(WINDOW *win); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); PARAMETERS
n number and direction of lines to scroll win pointer to the window in which to scroll DESCRIPTION
The scroll() function scrolls the window win up one line. The current cursor position is not changed. The scrl() and wscrl() functions scroll the window stdscr or win up or down n lines, where n is a positive (scroll up) or negative (scroll down) integer. The scrollok(3XCURSES) function must be enabled for these functions to work. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
clearok(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 scrl(3XCURSES)