Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers variable created base on other var value Post 302315052 by lavinia_f on Monday 11th of May 2009 10:54:42 AM
Old 05-11-2009
LAST_LOG is the file where i'm doing grep for errors
in the function i am retriving the name of the last log created and assign it to LAST_LOG:
LAST_LOG=`ls -tr hbuild.log* | tail -1`

after this i call the grep statment
$grepErr

When i delcare grepErr if i use just $LAST_LOG without ', after echo LAST_LOG is replace with "" so in the function the grep statment will fail because it will not know where to search.

the code is somthing like this

#!/bin/ksh

checkLog()
{
LAST_LOG=`ls -tr hbuild.log* | tail -1`
if [ $LAST_LOG = ""]
then
echo hbuild file is not present
exit 1
fi
$1
}

grepErr=`echo "grep -i -e ' error ' -e ' errors ' -e 'rror(s)' -e 'Unsatisfied ' -e 'Undefined symbol' -e 'No rule ' -e 'Cannot' -e 'rror:' -e 'Could not find ' -e 'No such file or directory' -e 'Unexpected end of file' -e ' Stop.' -e 'unexpected symbol' -e 'is not a member of'" '$LAST_LOG' "| grep -v 'Warning' > /dev/null"`
BUILD_RESULT=`checkLog "$grepErr"`

Hope it was more clear this time Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable name to be created within a function

Is it possible to pass a variable name, as a parameter to a function, so it can be created within this function ? Something like this: func_uppercase abcdefgh var_name where the 1st parameter is the string I want to convert and the 2nd is the desired variable name... $2=`echo "$1" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files still being created in /var/spool/mmdf/lock/home

Hi all I need help finding a process that is continuing to create files in the above area. There are three sub folder titled addr q.local and msg . I have already found a process called mmdf running and have used the kill command to stop this from running. I have also looked for sendmail or... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeaMaker
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - how can we name a variable base on value of another variable

Hey all, perl - how can we name a variable base on the value of another variable? for example in ksh/bash we do : export c="100" export x`echo $c`=2000 echo $x100 x100=2000 is it possible to do something similar for perl? I already tried many ways but nothing is working. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cacm1975
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a var in sql file with shell script variable

I have a requirement where i have a sql file (filetext.sql). This file contains a variable ss_code. Now in a shell script im trying to replace the variable ss_code with a value contained in the shell script variable MTK_DC..tried the below in the script MTK_DC="mit,cit,bit" OUT=`awk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script variable names created dynamically

Hi, I'm trying to use a config file to define frequencies for checking log files. If the config file contains a frequency it will be used else a default value. The format of the config file (and hence the environment variable) is FREQ_log_logname=value A test shell script as below:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u671296
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: compose regex in variable and then use its contents like $0 ~ var

A question to the awk pundits: I was thinking about composing a regex in a variable and then use its contents like $0 ~ var instead of $0 ~ /r/. Sort of indirection. Did someone run into this? Is it possible at all? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh , how to set var value into new var, in short string concatenation

i try to find way to make string concatenation in csh ( sorry this is what i have ) so i found out i can't do : set string_buff = "" foreach line("`cat $source_dir/$f`") $string_buff = string_buff $line end how can i do string concatenation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

8. Programming

Local variable in a C function is not getting created in stack when its compiled with GCC

Hi, I am working in UEFI EDK2 Bios source. We created a platform related new package in the EDK2 source. I find a strange issue with the platform related code we added. When I did source level debugging I noticed the local variable in a C function is not getting created in stack when its... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya R
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a value of a var stored in another variable?

I'm writing a shell script in AIX and using ksh. I have a scenario where I have a variable A which stores $B. so when i echo "$A" it prints $B But I wish to print value stored in var b ie. \a\dir\res\ I wish to store \a\dir\res\ in a third variable C. later I want to cd into that path :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to add a variable for the results from the formula of one variable and results of another var

Good morning all, This is the file name in question OD_Orders_2019-02-19.csv I am trying to create a bash script to read into files with yesterdays date on the file name while retaining the rest of the files name. I would like for $y to equal, the name of the file with a formula output with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibrahim A
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)