Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Awk help needed for display particular field alone for searching pattern Post 302314632 by senthilkumar_ak on Saturday 9th of May 2009 04:12:33 AM
Old 05-09-2009
i am looking for the output like

customerReferenceNumber:14077854
customerReferenceNumber:14073551
customerReferenceNumber:14072203
customerReferenceNumber:14069692
customerReferenceNumber:14066961
customerReferenceNumber:14066244
customerReferenceNumber:14066212

But some of the line has more field so i cant do with the awk .
Thanks
Senthil

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: find and replace in certain field only, help needed

I got a sample file like this. $ cat test 12|13|100|s 12|13|100|s 100|13|100|s 12|13|100|s I want to replace all 100 by 2000 only in 3rd field using "awk" This is replacing all 100's :-( $ awk -F "|" '{gsub( /100/,"2000");print}' test 12|13|2000|s 12|13|2000|s 2000|13|2000|s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i pattern match a field with awk?

hi, let's say $numbers = "324 350 587" an so on... what i'm trying to do is this: awk -v numbers="$numbers" '{if (numbers ~ /$2/) print $0, "bla bla"}' file # file looks like this: 214 ..... 215 ... 216 .... 250 ... 324 325 ... 350 something ... ... 587 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: someone123
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk make an field as 5 digit and display

using awk convert 3 rd fileld of file as 5 digit and then display changed file. like 1 2 23445 3452 3343 3 5 6 6 ================ o/p:- 1 2 23445 3452 03343 3 5 00006 6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore case in awk while pattern searching

Hi , I have the file where i have to search for the pattern. The pattern may be lower case or upper case or camel case. Basically I want to ignore while searching the pattern in awk. awk '/error|warning/exception/' filename Please help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display the line number of file while searching for a pattern

awk 'BEGIN{IGNORECASE=1} /error|warning|exception/ { ++x } END { print x }' filename The above command returning the number of times the pattern present in the file. But I want the the line number as well. please help me out (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match pattern in a field, print pattern only instead of the entire field

Hi ! I have a tab-delimited file, file.tab: Column1 Column2 Column3 aaaaaaaaaa bbtomatoesbbbbbb cccccccccc ddddddddd eeeeappleseeeeeeeee ffffffffffffff ggggggggg hhhhhhtomatoeshhh iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching and printing the only pattern using awk,sed or perl

Hi All, i have an output of command vmstat as below : $ vmstat System configuration: lcpu=4 mem=5376MB ent=1.00 kthr memory page faults cpu ----- ----------- ------------------------ ------------ ----------------------- r b avm fre re pi... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add text to matching pattern in field

In the awk I am trying to add :p.=? to the end of each $9 that matches the pattern NM_. The below executes andis close but I can not seem to figure out why the :p.=? repeats in the split as in the green in the current output. I have added comments as well. Thank you :). file ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to display particular pattern

Hi I am using awk to print 10,11 column but it is not displaying required output. Please let me know how I can browse through the line and extract the required one Example: I have below 2 lines in file seq 49960| Thu Apr 19 10:57:40.726182 2018|Len: 89|GAP for CL/U18 9P-NC (CL90U8)) gap... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
10 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e. the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has the either the form 'file_number.field', where file_number is a file number and field is a field number, or the form '0' (zero), representing the join field. The elements of list must be either comma (``,'') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quot- ing to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is ``-'', the standard input is used. DIAGNOSTICS
The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file 1 and file 2. -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file 1 and file 2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form 'file_number.field_number' as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named '1.2'. These options are available only so historic shellscripts don't require modification and should not be used. STANDARDS
The join command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) BSD
April 18, 2002 BSD