Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to recognize a string and move it within a line? Post 302314451 by roussine on Friday 8th of May 2009 10:36:48 AM
Old 05-08-2009
How to recognize a string and move it within a line?

Guys, can you pls help?.
My need is to find a string in a line, cut it and append to the end of the line where it was found. I guess the sed command can handle this, but how?..

e.g. in the line

AZOAR1_1_PE2569,HBG316802,partial,Q5P1X0,"Dihydrolipoamide dehydrogenase protein";"Glutathione reductase protein"

I need to move “,partial” to the end to get

AZOAR1_1_PE2569,HBG316802,Q5P1X0,"Dihydrolipoamide dehydrogenase protein";"Glutathione reductase protein",partial

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

move to a particular line

Hi, I need to create a report in unix by moving to specified lines and specified positions and print some strings etc.. for eg: i need to print a string on 15th line and 7th position of a file. Please suggest. Thanks, Mohan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to move a line after the matched pattern line

I have the following text format in a file which lists the question first and then 5 choices after that the explanantion and finally the answer. 1.The amount of time it takes for most of a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanchil_guy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move lines above a line onto one line

So say I have the file: john london 24 male ======== jane london 22 female ======== mike 23 ======== Bob how do i get the information i need on one line as such: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

5. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does a shell script recognize the end of a line?

Hi friends , I want to know how does a shell script recognize the end of a line? . i have hunddres of proccedure to test where i want to ingnore the comments which starts with "--" .. it can start from the middle of the lines also. for example:: select * from table1; -- getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

move string in a text file

Hi all! I need some help in changing a text file. I have the following text file: 1,050406259214736,00010,5000,MZM,V050,20131231,EMIG 2,Available,20061126T10:40:15,vs,, 2,Used,20110813T12:32:35,,825351585,1411012901443027 1,050410256649750,00010,5000,MZM,V050,20131231,EMIG ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hmmm I think I found the correct subforum to ask my question... I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hi all, I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this? Or just reinsert thousands of line breaks again :eek: ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to add a new string at the end of line by searching a string on the same line?

Hi, I have a file which is an extract of jil codes of all autosys jobs in our server. Sample jil code: ************************** permission:gx,wx date_conditions:yes days_of_week:all start_times:"05:00" condition: notrunning(appDev#box#ProductLoad)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavendra
1 Replies
gets(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   gets(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
gets - Read a line from a channel SYNOPSIS
gets channelId ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command reads the next line from channelId, returns everything in the line up to (but not including) the end-of-line character(s), and discards the end-of-line character(s). ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as the Tcl standard input channel (stdin), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The channel must have been opened for input. If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the command. If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable by that name and the return value is a count of the number of characters returned. If end of file occurs while scanning for an end of line, the command returns whatever input is available up to the end of file. If chan- nelId is in nonblocking mode and there is not a full line of input available, the command returns an empty string and does not consume any input. If varName is specified and an empty string is returned in varName because of end-of-file or because of insufficient data in non- blocking mode, then the return count is -1. Note that if varName is not specified then the end-of-file and no-full-line-available cases can produce the same results as if there were an input line consisting only of the end-of-line character(s). The eof and fblocked commands can be used to distinguish these three cases. EXAMPLE
This example reads a file one line at a time and prints it out with the current line number attached to the start of each line. set chan [open "some.file.txt"] set lineNumber 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineNumber]: $line" } close $chan SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of file, end of line, line, nonblocking, read Tcl 7.5 gets(n)