Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting While file exists with specific extension Post 302314105 by devtakh on Thursday 7th of May 2009 11:22:12 AM
Old 05-07-2009
Try this: ( replace dir with the appropriate path)

Code:
today=$(date +"%j")
ind=0
for file in yourdir/*.txt; 
do 
new="2751$today$ind.dat"; 
mv $file $new
ind=$(( ind + 1 ));
done

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get files with a specific extension

Hi All, How do I get only the files with the .csv extension. I have a shell script something like below: #!/usr/bin/ #Directory to scan for files SCANDIR="/cmb/data/exstream/scriptslogs/"; LOGFILE="/cmb/data/exstream/scriptslogs/test.log"; cd $SCANDIR for FILE in * ; do FILENAME=$FILE... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: janavenki
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing 0 from a specific position - if it exists

I have a file that I need to parse using a script. The dates in the file are displayed in the format: Mar 2, 2011 9:09:31 PM I have tried using the date command %e and %l but it pads an extra space for the day and hour if they are single digits. So this I used a normal date command: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazyideas
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with if an extension exists in a certain repertory

Hi, I was wondering if you can help me with verifying if certain extension exists in /var/log with an if statement. Basically I'm trying to see if there is a .Gz extension in the repertory /var/log. My code: if ; then echo ¨ The extension exist¨ else echo ¨theres no extension¨ fi ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Froob
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passinng specific file extension to while loop in ksh

hello, i have the below while loop wherein i am passig list of filenames to be scped. this is in unix ksh - filenamelist.txt has list of files names, including .dat and .txt files but i want to pass only the .txt filenames to the while loop so that only .txt files gets scped. how can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove only specific char on every line when exists

Hi I need to remove "|" char when it's the last char of the line. Input file: generoso|desprendido|altruista| abnegar|ceder|sacrificar| abocetado-da|esbozado| apuntado|insinuado|incompleto abocetar|esbozar|bosquejar| diseñar|delinear ------------------------ output need --- ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookoo
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files with specific extension in directory tree

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but a search didn't turn up a definitive best method for this (if there ever is such a thing). I have been using rsync to back up my main data directory, but I have accumulated a large number of older backups that I don't need. All of the files I don't... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files based on specific word in a file name & its extension and putting it in required location

Hello All, Since i'm relatively new in shell script need your guidance. I'm copying files manually based on a specific word in a file name and its extension and then moving it into some destination folder. so if filename contains hyr word and it has .md and .db extension; it will move to TUM/HYR... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: prajaktaraut
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create sub directories from specific file extension

In the bash below I am trying to create sub-directories inside a directory from files with specific .bam extensions. There may be more then one $RDIR ing the directory and the .bam file(s) are trimmed (removing the extension and IonCode_0000_) and the result is the folder name that is saved in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
strerr(1M)																strerr(1M)

NAME
strerr - receive error messages from the STREAMS log driver SYNOPSIS
sys_admin_mail_name] logdir] DESCRIPTION
receives error messages from the STREAMS log driver (strlog(7)) for addition to the STREAMS error log files mm-dd) in the STREAMS error logger directory by default). When first called, creates the log file This is a daily log file, where mm indicates the month and dd indi- cates the day of the logged messages. then appends error messages to the log file as they are received from the STREAMS log driver. STREAMS error log messages have the following format: seq time tick pri ind mod sub text Components are interpreted as follows: seq Error event sequence number. time Time the message was sent expressed in hh:mm:ss. tick Time the message was sent expressed in machine ticks since the last boot. pri Error priority level as defined by the STREAMS driver or module that originates the messages. ind Can be any combination of the following three message indicators: The message has also been saved in the trace log. The message signaled a fatal error. The message has also been mailed to the system administrator. mod Module identification number of the error message source. sub Subidentification number of the error message source. text Error message text. runs continuously until terminated by the user. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Specify the user's mail name for sending mail messages. Mail is sent to the system administrator by default. Specify the directory to contain the error log file. Default is WARNINGS
Only one process can open the STREAMS log driver at a time. This restriction is intended to maximize performance. The STREAMS error logging mechanism works best when it is not overused. can degrade STREAMS performance by affecting the response, throughput, and other behaviors of the drivers and modules that invoke it. also fails to capture messages if drivers and modules generate messages at a higher rate than its optimum read rate. If there are missing sequence numbers among the messages in a log file, messages have been lost. FILES
NLS catalog for error log file or files on which operates SEE ALSO
strace(1M), strlog(7). strerr(1M)