Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help--Using wildcards in string comparison Post 302313787 by louciano on Wednesday 6th of May 2009 01:01:06 PM
Old 05-06-2009
Thanks for the post. Needed the info as well.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

string comparison

The script will read a bunch of names, and test if it contains "John", but as below apparently ~ does not work, so what is the easiest way to perform string comparison in bash shell script? thanks ... elif then echo "get John" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string comparison

Hello experts, (tcsh shell) Quite new to shell scripting... I have got a file with a single word on each line. Want to be able to make a comparison such that i can read pairs of words that are ROT13 to each other. Also, i would like to print the pairs to another file. Any help... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jatsui
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with String Comparison

I'm running the following script to compare string values to a regexp: for entry in $(lpinfo -v | cut -c 1-); do if then echo "blah" continue fi done Whenever I run it, each token of lpinfo is being interpreted as a command and I get errors such as: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypnotic_meat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Comparison

Is there a way to compare the permission string of two files and output the string if they match? For ex: -rw-r--r-- 1 user newuser 0 2009-03-12 16:45 file2 -rw-r--r-- 1 user newuser 0 2009-03-12 16:46 fileone output: -rw-r--r-- If they don't match output will be just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: squardius
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in list with wildcards

I need to add code to a shell script to find out if a string matches any item in a list, where the list can contain a wildcard character. For example, if I have the following list: ok_versions="03-02-4, 04-01-*" Then I want to compare a particular string to see if it matches any item in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johan III
11 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need Help on String Comparison

Hi , My requirement is to read from a file into a variable. I need to check if the variable is equal to string "no rows selected". The sh script snippet is as follows: file=/data/lpgtwo/home/nikhilp/TriggerNames.txt echo $file var=`cat $file` echo $var if then echo "No... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MNG
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison

hi team, i want to compare the below string from logs, but its is not working. if ]; then echo "restart some process" fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfaizan40
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies
post(3FORM)															       post(3FORM)

NAME
post - write or erase forms from associated subwindows SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> int post_form(FORM *form); int unpost_form(FORM *form); DESCRIPTION
The function post_form displays a form to its associated subwindow. To trigger physical display of the subwindow, use refresh or some equivalent curses routine (the implicit doupdate triggered by an curses input request will do). The function unpost_form erases form from its associated subwindow. RETURN VALUE
These routines return one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. E_BAD_STATE Routine was called from an initialization or termination function. E_NOT_POSTED The form has not been posted. E_NOT_CONNECTED No items are connected to the form. E_NO_ROOM Form is too large for its window. E_POSTED The form has already been posted. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), form(3FORM). NOTES
The header file <form.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V forms library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. post(3FORM)