Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Whitespace in filenames in for loop in bash script Post 302313429 by EagleFlyFree on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 03:21:52 PM
Old 05-05-2009
For extra completeness:
The reason why $(ls *) fails for files with spaces is that the default word separators for the shell includes spaces. So when the result of the substitution gets expanded by the shell, spaces act as boundaries and filenames get cut over them.
One solution is to remove the space character as a separator, by modifying the special IFS variable:
Code:
IFS=$(echo "")

echo always prints a newline unless passed -n, so the above produces a newline portably across platforms.
Now, only newlines define word boundaries and spaces in filenames are no longer a problem.

This way you can substitute things like $(grep string file) for iterating.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop preserving leading whitespace

Hi all, I've been trying to get this to work for ages to no avail. I've searched this site and googled but cannot find a satisfactory answer. I've got a while loop, like this while read line do echo "$line" done < file_name Now, my problem is that most of the lines in the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zazzybob
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Of bash and whitespace...

Hmmm... Bash doesn't parse whitespace with a read. lev@sys09:~$ read line; echo "$line" test test You can imagine what this does if you're using a shell script to read a list of unknown file names containing unknown spaces. lev@sys09:~$ read word1 word2; echo "$word1,$word2" 123 456... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lev_lafayette
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving whitespace in a for loop

I obviously haven't learned my lesson with shell and whitespace. find /path/to/some/where/ -name "*.pdf" | awk '{print $5}'| uniq -d results: some Corporation other Corporate junk firmx Works fine from cmdline but the whitespace turns into another FS in a for loop. for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_becker
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preventing whitespace to be a delimiter in a for loop (bash/sh)

Hi, I have a for loop which iterates over a list of strings, separated by whitespace: $ list="1 2 3" $ for i in $list; do echo $i; done 1 2 3 I now want to introduce some strings containing whitespace themselves ... This is straightforward if I directly iterate over the list: $ for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkkoehne
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match (whitespace digits whitespace) sequence?

Hi Following is an example line. echo "192.22.22.22 \"33dffwef\" 200 300 dsdsd" | sed "s:\(\ *\ \):\1:" I want it's output to be 200 However this is not the case. Can you tell me how to do it? I don't want to use AWK for this. Secondly, how can i fetch just 300? Should I use "\2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahanali
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For/While Loop to Increment Filenames in a Script

Daily stupid question. I want to increment the file name everytime the script is run. So for example if the filename is manager.log and I run the script, I want the next sequence to be manager.log1. So to be clear I only want it to increment when the script is executed. So ./script... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script called in loop from Bash Script

Having issues with an expect script. I've been scripting bash, python, etc... for a couple years now, but just started to try and use Expect. Trying to create a script that takes in some arguments, and then for now, just runs a pwd command(for testing, final will be command I pass). Here is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

REGEX to separate paths by whitespace and do a loop

I am trying to do in a single line to take a list of paths separated by whitespace and then loop thru all the paths that were wrote but my regex is not working, I have echo {3} | sed 's/ //g' | while read EACHFILE do ..... But for some reason is only taking always the first path that I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorgejac
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with a bash loop script

Create a single bash script that does the following: a. Print out the number of occurrences for each motif that is found in the bacterial genome and output to a file called motif_count.txt b. Create a fasta file for each motif (so 3 in total) which contains all of the genes and their... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dre
6 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD