Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl sum really inefficient!! Post 302313355 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 11:58:37 AM
Old 05-05-2009
Or you can give awk a try: Smilie

Code:
awk -F, '{
for(i=3;i<=NF;i++) {
  if(i%2){s1+=$i} else{s2+=$i}}
}
{ print $1"," $2","s1","s2;s1=s2=0
}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sum

Hello everyone I need to write a script that sums numbers passed to it as arguments on the command line and displays the results. I must use a for loop and then rewrite it using a while loop. It would have to output something like 10+20+30=60 this is what I have so far fafountain@hfc:~$ vi sum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blinky85
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum value from selected lines script (awk,perl)

Hello. I face this (2 side) problem. Some lines with this structure. ........... 12345678 4 12345989 13 12346356 205 12346644 74 12346819 22 ......... The first field (timestamp) is growing (or at least equal). 1)Sum the second fields if the first_field/500 are... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolfili
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to find particular field and sum it

Hi, I have a file with format a b c d e 1 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 3 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 4 1 1 1 1 6 in column e i want to find all similar fields ( with perl script )and sum it how many are there for instance in format above. 2 - 2 times 4 - 1 time 6 - 1 time what i use is ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print sum and relative value of the sum

Hi i data looks like this: student 1 Subject1 45 55 Subject2 44 55 Subject3 33 44 // student 2 Subject1 45 55 Subject2 44 55 Subject3 33 44 i would like to sum $2, $3 (marks) and divide each entry in $2 and $3 with their respective sums and print for each student as $4 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl sum 2nd field in an array

Hi Everyone, ($total+=$_) for @record; assume @record=(1,2,3), so the result is 6. if @record=("1 3","2 3","3 3"), would like to sum up the 2nd field of this array, the result is 9. i tried " ($total+=$) for @record ", cannot, please advice. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 03:45... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Group & Sum in hash

Hi, I have a hash which is to be populated by reading data lines from a flat file. I am supposed to read fields 1-5 from the file and load them on to the hash such that fields 1-4 are going to be the hash key-set and field 5 is the hash value. Field 5 is a monetary amount and is supposed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to Sum

Hi I need to incorporate a 'sum' as follows into a script and not sure how. I have a variable per line and I need them to be summed, e.g below 1 23 1,456 1 1 34 46 How do I calculate the sum of all these numbers to ouptut the answer ( 1,562) Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the sum

I am trying to get the sum of the first column of a file. When I use the same method for other files it works just fine... for some reason for the file below it gives me an error that I don't understand... I tried looking at different lines of the file and tried different things, but I still... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incredibly inefficient cat | grep script

Hi there, I have 2 files that I am trying to work on. File 1 contains a reference list of unique subscriber numbers ( 7 million entries in total) File 2 contains a list of the subscriber numbers and their tariff (15 million entries in total). This file is in the production system and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
12 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)