Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris limit on Solaris username lengths? Post 302313346 by incredible on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 11:16:36 AM
Old 05-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Also, in Solaris 10 (and I think Solaris 9?), long passwords are supported: Password Encryption (System Administration Guide: Security Services) - Sun Microsystems
OP is asking on usernames..
Normal usernames are short and is meant to be easy to remember and fast to access Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Solaris has any limit on folder size ?

Hi, Does Linux/Solaris has any limit on folder size or number of files per folder? Thanks Bache Gowda (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to find strings of certain lengths?

I am trying to use grep to find strings of certain lengths that all start with the same letter. Is this possible?:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabtruck
4 Replies

3. Solaris

SUN Solaris 9 - Is there a 2GB file size limit?

Hi I am using SUN/Solaris 9 and I was told that some unix versions have 2GB size limit. Does this applies to SUN/Solaris 9? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to set Root password age limit in Solaris 9/10

Hi Friends, Can anyone tell me how can I set the password age limit for root user to 14 days....??? Also would like to add following for root password; min-alpha --- 4 min-other --- 1 min-length -- 6 min-diff ----- 3 How can I do these on command line....??? Regards, jumadhiya (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
7 Replies

5. Solaris

How to : check username & password is same or not in solaris 10 ?

Thanks AVKlinux (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
5 Replies

6. Solaris

How to change directory limit in Solaris?

Hi, I am using Solaris 10. i was trying to make a new directory in /u04 but it don't let me make directory unless i remove some other directories. i issued the following command df -F ufs -o i Filesystem iused ifree %iused Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Maximum limit for allocation of groups to a folder in solaris 10

Hi, As per my knowledge, the maximum number of groups that can be allocated to a folder (in Solaris 10) is 16. But I wonder how this rule is applicable to folders which are mounted on NFS which can be accessed by 100s of groups? or is there is a restriction present? I have never handled such a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 11 x86 installation troubles - 8G disk limit

Hi, I am trying to install Solaris 11 on an X86 machine. I am using the text install iso image burned to an optical disk. The system contains a single 500G SATA drive. When the system attempts to detect local disks, it reports that the disk only has a capacity of 8GB. How do I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpoc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files with different lengths

Hi there, I have two very long files like: file1: two fields 1 123 1 125 1 234 2 123 2 234 2 300 2 312 3 10 3 215 4 56 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ClaraW
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris 11 - opened files limit ?

Hey all, I'm running apache (cswapache2) on a Solaris 11.3 server. Recently, if I create a new vhost, the service fails to restart, and enters in maintenance mode. If I comment lines with log files, the service starts again. I guess I've reached the limit. I checked the current values... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omegared77
8 Replies
SYS(1)                                                         AFS Command Reference                                                        SYS(1)

NAME
sys - Reports the compile-time CPU/operating system type SYNOPSIS
sys DESCRIPTION
The sys command displays the string set at compile time that indicates the local machine's CPU/operating system (OS) type, conventionally called the sysname. This string is the default for the value stored in kernel memory. The Cache Manager substitutes this string for the @sys variable which can occur in AFS pathnames; the OpenAFS Quick Start Guide and OpenAFS Administration Guide explain how using @sys can simplify cell configuration. To set a new value in kernel memory, use the fs sysname command. To view the current value set in the kernel, use either fs sysname or livesys. CAUTIONS
You almost always want to use livesys rather than this command. The sys command displays a single value hard-coded at compile time. It does not query the Cache Manager for the current value and it does not report sysname lists. If you have changed the local system type with fs sysname, or if you run a version of sys compiled differently than the Cache Manager running on the system, the value returned will not match the behavior of the Cache Manager. The only reason to use sys is that livesys wasn't available in older versions of AFS. OUTPUT
The machine's system type appears as a text string: I<system_type> EXAMPLES
The following example shows the output produced on a Sun SPARCStation running Solaris 5.7: % sys sun4x_57 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_sysname(1), livesys(1) The OpenAFS Quick Start Guides at <http://docs.openafs.org/>. The OpenAFS Administration Guide at <http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/>. COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 SYS(1)