Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development MySQL DevZone RSS Why Move to MySQL from Microsoft SQL Server? Post 302313079 by Linux Bot on Monday 4th of May 2009 04:00:03 PM
Old 05-04-2009
Why Move to MySQL from Microsoft SQL Server?

Before we get started, let me say that I always liked being a SQL Server DBA. My database experience started with DB2, then Teradata, followed by Oracle, and then SQL Server (and then a little bit of Sybase after that, followed by MySQL). Coming from the other databases, I found SQL Server the easiest and quickest to learn at the time, but of course, a lot of that had to do with the fact that Microsoft was really the only database vendor around then (I started with version 4.2 of SQL Server) that shipped any decent GUI management tools with their server. Take the tools away, and you basically had Sybase on Windows with the ISQL command line tool, which was not pretty by any means.

More...

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

(perl) Microsoft SQL Server client for solaris. cant find it...

let me save everyone the pain that it caused me. This is all free. And make sure it is in this order 1) make sure you have the latest version of perl installed 2) make sure you have NET:aemon installed 3) make sure you have RPC::PlServer & PlClient (the bundle has both) 4) make sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connection to Microsoft SQL Server

Hi, I am using "ksh" and trying to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server but it gives an error that is: DB-LIBRARY error: Unexpected EOF from SQL Server. Can any one please help me to resolve this issue. And i am using Putty to connect to the Unix server. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
3 Replies

3. SuSE

Syslog-ng 3.0.7 fails to insert into microsoft sql server

Dear All, Im currently configuring syslog-ng on SUSE Linux 10 SP2 to communicate with microsoft sql server 2005. I have installed freeTds 8.0. Tested TSQL ..works fine ISQL works fine. when testing with syslog-ng destination d_mssql { sql(type(mssql) host("ip address")... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SystemEng
0 Replies
ODBC_CONNECT(3) 							 1							   ODBC_CONNECT(3)

odbc_connect - Connect to a datasource

SYNOPSIS
resource odbc_connect (string $dsn, string $user, string $password, [int $cursor_type]) DESCRIPTION
The connection id returned by this functions is needed by other ODBC functions. You can have multiple connections open at once as long as they either use different db or different credentials. With some ODBC drivers, executing a complex stored procedure may fail with an error similar to: "Cannot open a cursor on a stored proce- dure that has anything other than a single select statement in it". Using SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC may avoid that error. Also, some drivers don't support the optional row_number parameter in odbc_fetch_row(3). SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC might help in that case, too. PARAMETERS
o $dsn - The database source name for the connection. Alternatively, a DSN-less connection string can be used. o $user - The username. o $password - The password. o $cursor_type - This sets the type of cursor to be used for this connection. This parameter is not normally needed, but can be useful for work- ing around problems with some ODBC drivers. The following constants are defined for cursortype: o SQL_CUR_USE_IF_NEEDED o SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC o SQL_CUR_USE_DRIVER RETURN VALUES
Returns an ODBC connection or ( FALSE) on error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 DSN-less connections <?php // Microsoft SQL Server using the SQL Native Client 10.0 ODBC Driver - allows connection to SQL 7, 2000, 2005 and 2008 $connection = odbc_connect("Driver={SQL Server Native Client 10.0};Server=$server;Database=$database;", $user, $password); // Microsoft Access $connection = odbc_connect("Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Dbq=$mdbFilename", $user, $password); // Microsoft Excel $excelFile = realpath('C:/ExcelData.xls'); $excelDir = dirname($excelFile); $connection = odbc_connect("Driver={Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls)};DriverId=790;Dbq=$excelFile;DefaultDir=$excelDir" , '', ''); ?> SEE ALSO
For persistent connections: odbc_pconnect(3). PHP Documentation Group ODBC_CONNECT(3)