Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Mac OS X emulator for Windows XP? Post 302312806 by SilversleevesX on Sunday 3rd of May 2009 12:56:43 PM
Old 05-03-2009
pludi seconded by longtime Mac realist - news at 11 (LOL)

As a long time Mac user (work and home, classic and OS X), I agree with pludi. The best option is to get a Mac.

Operating system emulators tend to favor going the other way -- Mac to Windows. Those that exist for the direction you're choosing, even the commercial ones, have their own issues and are generally considered not worth the time money or effort. Virtual machine imaging Mac OS X has its own legal issues: the only "Ten Version" as I like to phrase it where Apple's lawyers would be inclined to look the other way if someone virtualised it is (drum roll please) OS X 10.4 Tiger server {and only a 'legally-owned' copy -- priced at about $335 USD when it was new -- will pass muster with them}.

I have done a little with Apple's X11 distribution -- of which on this Forum you'll find scads of discussion and info -- in OS X, and I agree it does make up the difference between the two ( or is it three now ? ) platforms. And in terms of just out-of-the-box networking between Macs & PCs, the vanilla user version of Tiger practically eliminated any coughs, chokes and hangups between Apple's SMB protocol and Microsoft's. As I told a relative when he started running Tiger on his G4: "There's next to no sunlight between the two."

Hope this was helpful at any rate.

BZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
  1. Get a Mac
  2. Get OS X and try to install it inside an VM (there are How-Tos out there dealing with installation on regular x86 hardware, should be possible inside VMware or VirtualBox too)
  3. Install FreeBSD, since Darwin (the OS X core) is largely based on it
Other than that I know of no good ways to emulate it.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix emulator for windows 98

as part of my course i have to do a lot of programming using the universities unix server. i am able to access this from home using telnet but i cannot use axe or anything to edit my files. I was wondering if anyone knew of any software that could enable me yo do this as i like working at 2am when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HALLY
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Terminal and/or X-Windows in Mac OS X

Quick question: When I load up Terminal or X-Windows on my Mac, and the prompt comes up...what folder am I starting in? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidcross
2 Replies

3. Slackware

Windows Emulator?

I have heard of something called a windows emulator that allows you to run windows programs in linux, does this realy work? can I run any windows program (like a computer game)? and where can I get it :p (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimm
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can anyone recommend a freeware X-windows emulator?

Are there any freeware or shareware X-windows emulators out there? I only have the need for an emulator on rare occasions and would like to avoid having to purchase something like Exceed or x32. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhack
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Windows emulator on Solaris machine

Hello together, in our German company we have buyed one English Windows XP version. Every one of us should have access to this windows installation. So we have reconsidered that we want to install this Windows on our SUN SPARC Solaris machine. It is only used for checking out licenses of our own... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SPORTS
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

install windows on mac

Hello all, i want to install windows on mac and when i search i found that there is a program called Parallels Desktop to install windows on mac but i want it on the laptop not on the program does it work? or there is another anyway to install it on mac..?? Thanks in advanced (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham$
8 Replies
GNGB(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GNGB(1)

NAME
gngb - emulate various Nintendo Game Boy handheld systems SYNOPSIS
gngb [-h] | [options] <romname> DESCRIPTION
gngb is an emulator program that attempts to be various forms of Nintendo Game Boy hardware. It can run the various homebrew games and demos for the system as well as images of commercially-released games. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. OPTIONS
The program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options are included below. -h, --help print help and exit -a, --autoframeskip turn on autoframeskip. This is useful if the emulator is running too slow. It will cause the emulator to drop frames every now and then to maintain a realtime emulation. --sleep_idle sleep when idle. This will cause the program to sleep when it has idle cycles instead of busy looping. However, this can degrade emulation performance under some circumstances. --color_filter turn on the color filter. -r, --rumble turn on the rumble simulation. This will cause the emulated screen to shake when a rumble effect is caused by the running program. --filter=X Set the filter to apply. These only work when using standard (not YUV or GL) video output. 0 = none 1 = scanline 2 = scanline 50% 3 = smooth 4 = pseudo cell shading -R, --res=WxH set the screen resolution to WxH (for YUV and GL mode only). -Y, --yuv turn YUV mode on. This utilizes the hardware YUV colorspace conversion and scaling features if your video card supports it. Most video cards with Xv support can use this feature for excellent performance. --yuv_type set the type of the YUV overlay: 0 = YV12 1 = YUY2 -o, --opengl turn OpenGL mode on. This will render the gameboy screen as an OpenGL 3D texture, which on some cards may perform much better than the YUV or X11 output. This requires a 3D card with GLX support. -f, --fullscreen run gngb in fullscreen. Fullscreen can be toggled during use with F9. --fps Show frames per second counter in the upper left corner of screen. May be toggled through the emulator's menu. -s, --sound Enable sound. --sample_rate=RATE Set the sound output sample rate to RATE. (typically a multiple of 11025 Hz) --auto_gb Automatically detect the system to emulate based on the cartridge image that is selected. This should work in most cases. If it fails, you can use one of the [ -C, --color_gb | -G, --normal_gb | -S, --super_gb ] options to force emulation of a Color, Normal, or Super Game Boy. -j, --joy_dev=N The default joystick is /dev/js0. By setting N here, /dev/jsN will be used in its place. -g, --gdma_cycle This experimental option will halt the CPU during certain DMA operations. Leave it off unless you are working around problems in a certain program. -v, --version Show version of program. Most options can be disabled whith --no-OPTION (Ex: --no-sound turn sound off) DEFAULT BINDINGS
These are the default keys in the emulator. These, along with the joystick buttons, may be changed through a custom gngbrc(5) file. Enter : Start Right Shift : Select W : B X : A TAB : Open menu F9 : fullscreen on/off F10 : show fps F11 : reset F12 : show keysym code KeyPad 1-5: Change palette Palette must be define in your gngbrc file (see sample_gngbrc) KeyPad 6 : Toggle color filter SEE ALSO
There is some good info in the README included in the doc directory. The gngbrc file is documented in manual section 5. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by RCU <nemesis@dbz.icequake.net>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). GNGB(1)