Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How big is AIX installed base (i.e. number of deployed systems)? Post 302312652 by garethr on Saturday 2nd of May 2009 01:22:21 PM
Old 05-02-2009
This is a perfectly reasonable question to ask, and figures are available for other OSs such as Windows (they estimate around 1 billion and rising for the windows installed base, and I've seen a figure of a little over 1 million for Solaris).

The majority of AIX systems will be on an IBM support contract, and you could statisticaly estimate the typical ratio of systems not on support versus those that are. Then IBM could tell us straight away what the installed base is, to a reasonable accuracy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

details of installed AIX

Is there anyway, we can find the details of the AIX installed like version, h/w config, subsets loaded, patches loaded? Mugundan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdarm
6 Replies

2. AIX

Menu base AIX script

Hi, I am trying to create a menu on AIX systen for operators in our office. Please suggest how can I loop back to menu by pressing any key from a online running file. For example I can view the Database alert log file by tail -f command but how should I loop back to menu again. If I press <ctrl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu Base AIX Script

Hi, I am trying to create a menu on AIX systen for operators in our office. Please suggest how can I loop back to menu by pressing any key from a online running file. For example I can view the Database alert log file by tail -f command but how should I loop back to menu again. If I press <ctrl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

4. AIX

modcrypt.base fileset on Aix 5.3

Hi, Looking for some help downloading the modcrypt.base fileset Checking on google I think modcrypt.base is part of the Aix 5.3 expansion pack Cryptographic Library V5.2 and 5.3. I have downloaded this and it doesn't appear to have the modcrypt.base fileset in. In the same expansion... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elmesy
1 Replies

5. AIX

How big is the AIX market?

Does anyone have any info on the actual size of the global AIX market is in terms of physical machines (RS/6000, pSeries, System p, IBMp)? Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elias
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing characters and number from a big file with brackets

I have a big file with many brackets () in it from which I need to parse number characters and numbers. Below is an example of my file 14 (((A__0:0.02,B__1:0.3)0:0.04,C__0:0.025)2:0.01),(D__0:0.00978,E__2:0.01031)1:0.00362; 15... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

7. Linux

get total number of packages installed?

Hi, Which command would tell me of how many total number packages installed on my Redhat? Thank you, Lam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

8. AIX

AIX base OS install

Hello, I'm trying to install AIX 7.1 on a machine. Unfortunately I forgot to load volume 2 DVD, but the server works fine. Was wondering, what all the contents will be in volume 2? And I tried loading it after the complete reboot but the blade is not recognizing the volume2 DVD. Please let... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split Big XML file Base on tag

HI I want to split file base on tag name. I have few header and footer on file <?xml version="1.33" encing="UTF-8"?> <bulkCmConfigDataFile" <xn:SubNetwork id="ONRM_ROOT"> <xn:MeContext id="PPP04156"> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Big difference between UNIX systems? Which one as OSX replacement for a developer?

Hello Everyone I am a software developer and private OS X user. I was enthusiastic with what I learned about Linux (on my OS X) during the operating system module at school and I am using some of it. But I may not want to go the Apple way till the end. And OS X is a little too big to run on a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JacobPhelps
5 Replies
RAND_add(3)							      OpenSSL							       RAND_add(3)

NAME
RAND_add, RAND_seed, RAND_status, RAND_event, RAND_screen - add entropy to the PRNG SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/rand.h> void RAND_seed(const void *buf, int num); void RAND_add(const void *buf, int num, double entropy); int RAND_status(void); int RAND_event(UINT iMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam); void RAND_screen(void); DESCRIPTION
RAND_add() mixes the num bytes at buf into the PRNG state. Thus, if the data at buf are unpredictable to an adversary, this increases the uncertainty about the state and makes the PRNG output less predictable. Suitable input comes from user interaction (random key presses, mouse movements) and certain hardware events. The entropy argument is (the lower bound of) an estimate of how much randomness is contained in buf, measured in bytes. Details about sources of randomness and how to estimate their entropy can be found in the literature, e.g. RFC 1750. RAND_add() may be called with sensitive data such as user entered passwords. The seed values cannot be recovered from the PRNG output. OpenSSL makes sure that the PRNG state is unique for each thread. On systems that provide "/dev/urandom", the randomness device is used to seed the PRNG transparently. However, on all other systems, the application is responsible for seeding the PRNG by calling RAND_add(), RAND_egd(3) or RAND_load_file(3). RAND_seed() is equivalent to RAND_add() when num == entropy. RAND_event() collects the entropy from Windows events such as mouse movements and other user interaction. It should be called with the iMsg, wParam and lParam arguments of all messages sent to the window procedure. It will estimate the entropy contained in the event message (if any), and add it to the PRNG. The program can then process the messages as usual. The RAND_screen() function is available for the convenience of Windows programmers. It adds the current contents of the screen to the PRNG. For applications that can catch Windows events, seeding the PRNG by calling RAND_event() is a significantly better source of randomness. It should be noted that both methods cannot be used on servers that run without user interaction. RETURN VALUES
RAND_status() and RAND_event() return 1 if the PRNG has been seeded with enough data, 0 otherwise. The other functions do not return values. SEE ALSO
rand(3), RAND_egd(3), RAND_load_file(3), RAND_cleanup(3) HISTORY
RAND_seed() and RAND_screen() are available in all versions of SSLeay and OpenSSL. RAND_add() and RAND_status() have been added in OpenSSL 0.9.5, RAND_event() in OpenSSL 0.9.5a. 0.9.7a 2000-03-22 RAND_add(3)