Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to ignore STDERR when nesting commands? Post 302312291 by Smiling Dragon on Thursday 30th of April 2009 09:59:13 PM
Old 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_rizzo
try adding the ssh -o BatchMode=yes option.
No joy there, just got the same behaviour as without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_rizzo
a better solution would be to use scp to copy the file locally and then operate on it.
I was hoping not to have to in order to have fewer temp files kicking round, but I think that might be the way to do it and it actually makes my life easier when trying to write the change back afterwards.

Cheers!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to ignore control commands

hi, while we writing shell script, i want to ignore interrupts likes - "control + C" or "control + \" coz I just print out the message. how can i do this? thanks min (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: myoeminn
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zip nesting empty folders

I'm using the following command to zip a project file, but when it finishes, the resulting zip file contains all the directories above the file I wanted zipped, myapp.app, each one empty until you get to the actual app. zip -r myapp.app.zip ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Isn't a shell found on a beach? Need help nesting if's or loops.

As of a week ago i thought a shell was somthing found on a beach. I'm a virgin when it comes to scripting and i'm having a really bad time here. What i need to do is prompt for a group number grep the /etc/groups to get the GID and name if it exists i want to prompt the user for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: switchkill
3 Replies

5. Google Chrome OS

Case Nesting

sdfdefgsrg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankycool
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nesting backticks

I'm trying to make a dialog window that prints the output of grep that takes the output of find. Unfortunately my nested backticks don't work. Here is the dialog window: dialog --stdout --title "test" --backtitle "test" --msgbox "Test:\n `grep -l "${tablica}" `find $string``" 16 60I think I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starting_Leaf
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Nesting if statement in for loop

I have the basic command written in bash for element in 1 2 do if ]; then set el = "t" else set el = "p" fi done but i get the following error syntax error near unexpected token `for' ` for element in 1 2' What should i do differently? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue nesting variables in csh.

The variables given are already defined ($file1-$file3, $obsid1-$obsid3, and $n=3). When I go to run the code, the terminal outputs "Missing }." I believe the error is with the nesting of variables. It would save a lot of time getting this while loop working. set i = 1 while (${i} <=... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ojdefdidit
5 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)