Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to append data in a single row Post 302311910 by Sgiri1 on Thursday 30th of April 2009 01:25:11 AM
Old 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddybs
Code:
Code:
cat file | tr '\n' ',' >> file1

$ cat file
"user1","employee1","04/28/2009"
"5678"
"78"
"user2","employee2","04/30/2009"

$ cat file1
"user1","employee1","04/28/2009","5678","78","user2","employee2","04/30/2009"

Does this help?

Cheers,
Sai

hi sai...im getting the o/p as follows..

“user1”,”employee1”,”04/28/2009”,“5678”,“78”,“user2”,”employee2”,”04/30/2009”,,

there are two commas at the end..i dont need comma after the last entry. can you please help me with this?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert data befor some field in a row of data depending up on values in row

Hi I need to do some thing like "find and insert before that " in a file which contains many records. This will be clear with the following example. The original data record should be some thing like this 60119827 RTMS_LOCATION_CDR INSTANT_POSITION_QUERY 1236574686123083rtmssrv7 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add value of each row when each row has different data ype

Guys -- I am noob and I am really strugging on this one. I cant even write the pseudo code for it. I have a file that spits values in individual rows as such: file: user date type size joe 2005-25-09 log 1 joe 2005-25-09 snd 10 joe 2005-25-09 rcd 12 joe 2005-24-09 log 2 joe... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: made2last
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Second Row to First Row @ end in a file

Hi I want to append line 2n to 2n-1 line where n=1...LastLine in my file. eg: Actual File: Hello Everyone Welcome TO Unix I need Your help Required File: HelloEveryone WelcomeTO Unix I needYour help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append test as a row

I searched the thread i couldn't able to find the solution that's y posted here.. help me i have a file as setting field value A 0 setting field value B 2 setting field value C 3 some text ------ --- some text setting field value A 0 setting field value B 2 setting field value... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtracting each row from the first row in a single column file using awk

Hi Friends, I have a single column data like below. 1 2 3 4 5 I need the output like below. 0 1 2 3 4 where each row (including first row) subtracting from first row and the result should print below like the way shown in output file. Thanks Sid (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append data to new row in CSV file every day

Hi All I will run the same script every day in corn and output should go to same CSV file but in different row with dates on it. Below is my example in attached format. Script i am using to collect switch port online DATE=`date '+%d-%m-%y'` for f in `cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

[Solved] Mysql - Take data from row and copy it to another row

Sorry if I repost my question in this section, but I'm really in a hurry since I have to finish my work... :( Dear community, I have a table with two rows like: Row1 Row2 ======= ======= 7,3 text 1 1,3 text 2 1,2,3 blabla What i need to do is add/copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line from the file and append it to each row

Hi All, We have a file in the following format: 0.010000 $ ITI 11 LV2 $ 40456211 $ 0.135000 $ ITI 11 LV1 $ 40512211 $ 1.215600 $ ITI 11 ITI3 $ 41406211 $ 24/05/2014 14:05:02 0.030000 $ ITI 11 LV2 $ 40456211 $ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravsinghal79
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting single row into multiple rows based on for every 10 digits of last field of the row

Hi ALL, We have requirement in a file, i have multiple rows. Example below: Input file rows 01,1,102319,0,0,70,26,U,1,331,000000113200000011920000001212 01,1,102319,0,1,80,20,U,1,241,00000059420000006021 I need my output file should be as mentioned below. Last field should split for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotra
4 Replies
talk(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   talk(1)

Name
       talk, otalk - talk to another user

Syntax
       talk person [ttyname]

otalk person [ttyname]

Description
       The command is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user.

If  you	wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another
       host, then person is of the form :
       host!user
	or
       host.user
	or
       host:user
	or
       user@host
       The form user@host is perhaps preferred.

If you want to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name.

When first called, it sends the message
       Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine...
       talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine.
       talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine

to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing
       talk  your_name@your_machine

It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same.  Once communication is established,  the
       two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows.  Typing Ctrl-L will cause the screen to be reprinted,
       while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal.  To exit, just type your interrupt character; then moves  the
       cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal.

Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command.	At the outset talking is allowed.  Certain commands, in particular
       and disallow messages in order to prevent messy output.

In order to use the program with machines on your network that may be running earlier versions of ULTRIX, you must initiate a session  with
       the  command (/usr/ucb/otalk) instead of the command You must also respond to a request from a machine running an older version of the pro-
       gram with the command. See the Restrictions section.

Examples
       The following example demonstrates how to use the command.  In this case, user1, whose system (system1) is running ULTRIX V2.2 initiates  a
       session with user2, whose system (system2) is running ULTRIX V3.0.  User1 types the following:
       system1> talk user2@system2
       The following message appears on the screen of user2:
       Message from Talk_Daemon@system2 at 12:37 ...
       talk: connection requested by user1@system1.
       talk: respond with:  otalk user1@system1
       To establish the connection user2 follows the instructions from the Talk_Daemon and types the following at the system prompt:
       system2> otalk user1@system1

Restrictions
       The  version  of  released  with ULTRIX V3.0 uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in earlier versions. Starting with
       ULTRIX V3.0, the program communicates with other machines running ULTRIX, V3.0 (and later), and machines running 4.3  BSD  or  versions	of
       UNIX based on 4.3 BSD.

The command is not 8-bit clean. Typing in DEC Multinational Characters (DECMCS) causes the characters to echo as a sequence of a carets (^)
       followed by the character represented with its high bit cleared. This limitation makes unusable if you want to communicate using a language
       which has DECMCS characters in its alphabet.

Files
       to find the recipient's machine

to find the recipient's tty

See Also
       mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8c)

talk(1)