Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting random select text file ranamed Post 302311763 by otheus on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 12:58:11 PM
Old 04-29-2009
Okay, so source.txt has all these lines in it, and you simply want to pick 6 random lines and change them?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: random select

How do I: 1. Have a list of names. JOE, JOHN, PETER, PAT. how do i get perl to randomly select any two and put them in $name1 and put the other two in $name2 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieving random numbers out of a text file

Hi one and all, I'm working on a Bash script that is designed to calculate how much IP traffic has passed through a port to determine traffic volume over a given amount of time. I've currently been able to use the netstat -s command coupled with grep to write to a file the total packets... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random word from a flat text file

Hello, I need to take a random word from a flat text file with words in it seperated by spaces. The code I am using, always gives me the first word. Can anyone please shed some light on this. Here's my code. Thanks echo table roof ceiling jar computer monitor keyboard carpet >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freakhan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read random line from a text file

I have a text file with hundreds of lines, i wish to run a script and reads a random line to pass it to another command line such as: for line in `cat file |grep random line`; do echo $line |mail my@example.com ; done thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to isolate a text file line and Awk to select a word?

I am looking at using grep to locate the line in the text file and them use awk to select a word or words out of it. I know awk needs -v to allow a variable to be used, but also needs -F to allow the break up of the sentence and allow the location of separate variables. $line = grep "1:" File |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ironguru
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select text between current date and output to new txt file

Hi guys, brand new to this thread and very very new to UNIX...so go easy please! Anyway I have a file that looks like this: >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date/Time/Eng. : 2012-06-22 / 00:26 / DS Reported problem : (SD) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to randomly select lines from a text file

I have a text file with 1000 lines, I want to randomly select 200 lines from it and print them as output. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select row from file and text

Hi all! I would like to solve a problem but I have no clue of how do it!I will be grateful if someone could help me! Briefly I have a big file like this: >ENSMUSG00000000204 | ENSMUST00000159637 GGCGAGGCTTACGCCATTTTACCTCAGCGAGCATTCATAAAGCTGCGAGCATTCATACAG >ENSMUSG00000000204 |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using grep to select specific patterns in text file?

How do I use grep to select words that start with I or O, end in box, and contain at least one letter in between them? the text file mailinfo.txt contains Inbox the Inbox Is a match box Doesn't match INBOX Outbox Outbox1 InbOX Ibox I box If the command works correctly it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
4 Replies
UNSORT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 UNSORT(1)

NAME
unsort -- reorder lines in a file in semirandom ways SYNOPSIS
unsort [-hvrpncmMsz0l] [--help] [--version] [--random] [--heuristic] [--identity] [--concatenate] [--merge] [--merge-random] [--seed integer] [--zero-terminated] [--null] [--linefeed] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
unsort prints the lines in the input files (or standard input) in semi-random order. Available algorithms are a Mersenne Twister based PRNG and a heuristic algorithm that aims to create a subjective even distribution. Command line options -h, --help Display a concise summary of the available options and argument syntax. -v, --version Display version and copyright information. -r, --random Use the Mersenne Twister based randomization algorithm. -p, --heuristic Use the heuristic "shuffling" algorithm which permutes the lines in such a way that they're spread more or less evenly in the output. This is the default. -n, --identity Do not reorder lines in the input. Useful if you just want to merge the files. -r, --concatenate Concatenate all input files then apply the shuffling algorithm to the result as a whole. -m, --merge Shuffle all input files seperately then merge the result. Equal-sized files will be merged in the order in which they appear on the command line. -M, --merge-random Shuffle all input files seperately then merge the result. Equal-sized files will be merged in random order. This is the default. -s, --seed integer Use this integer as a seed, instead of random data from the environment. -z, --zero-terminated, -0, --null Lines are terminated with a character. -l, --linefeed Lines are terminated with a character. This is the default. SEE ALSO
sort(1) Free Software June 1, 2019 Free Software