Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing String with Number variables Post 302311758 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 12:40:26 PM
Old 04-29-2009
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

b=15

while IFS=. read num rest
do
   if [ "${num}" -lt "${b}" ]; then
      printf "%d < %d\n" "${num}" "${b}"
   fi
done < file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

I have searched and found a few threads that have dealt with this, but the examples I've tried haven't seemed to help. I am monitoring our database log for high checkpoints. I can parse out the checkpoint value which can be anywhere from zero into a 3 digit number. I set a variable to be the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

Script #!/bin/sh hardware=PC os=WindowsNET for i in `cat newservers` do x=`sudo /opt/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients |grep $i |head -40 |grep $i|awk '{print $3;exit}'` if then echo "$i is already added" else echo "Need to add" fi done O/p in debug mode bash-2.05$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajip23
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing 2 string variables in unix

search=Jul 22 date=Jul 22 if then echo They match >>this piece of code does not detect that search and date are equivalent strings.. what's wrong with it? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: katdaniel16
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Variables in Perl

Hi. I have three arrays. @a=('AB','CD','EF'); @b=('AB,'DG',HK'); @c=('DD','TT','MM'); I want to compare the elements of the first two array and if they match then so some substition. I tried using the if statement using the scalar value of the array but its not giving me any output. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

im trying to compare ipaddresses. i loop through an array to see if the ip is already is in the array and if it is it should set a flag and then i wont add it to the array. but its just adding all the ipaddresses to the array if ] then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing variables to date as string

I have a file $ cat myfile A 02/16/2012 B 02/19/2012 C 02/20/2012 D 02/17/2012 E 02/16/2012 My simple script > cat myscript.sh mydate="02/16/2012" awk ' ($2~/$mydate/) {print $1}' < myfile but I got no output! and when I try $2~/'$mydate'/ I got: The error context is (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparing variables

Is there a way to compare variables in a 'awk'? I've been trying for a while and can't figure it out. I'm guessing its not possible :/ VAR=Bob awk '$3 == $VAR { print $1 }' file.txt Regards Jikuu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jikuu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

I have a script like this. Just couldn't get the comparison part work. Any thought? thanks, #!/usr/bin/ksh -x STEP=`echo $(basename $0 .ksh) | tr "" ""` log=/skip.log while read LINE do if then echo `date`: STEP $STEP skipped by user >> $log exit 0 fi done < $1 echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostmic
0 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)