Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Extract third field of third line Post 302311473 by etownbetty on Tuesday 28th of April 2009 08:18:18 PM
Old 04-28-2009
Extract third field of third line

Hi, how do I extract the third field of the first line?

I know how to get the first line or the third field of a file, but I can't get the single entry.

awk 'NR==1' file.txt

awk '{print $3}' file.txt

Please tell me how to combine these.

And how do I set this value into a variable?

var='awk "NR==1" file.txt'
?

But now I have to "eval" this $var, right?

I want to use $var in another expression.

Thanks for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK line by line instead of field by field?

I've been using a lot of awk lately for csv files. But I've been using awk for csv files that contain 32 fields per line. For the first time, I've been given a csv file that contains one field per line (13 fields in each csv file). I need to check that a specific field, or line contains a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to extract field of characters in a line

Hello, Below is my input file's content ( in HP-UX platform ): ABCD120672-B21 1 ABCD142257-002 1 ABCD142257-003 1 ABCD142257-006 1 From the above, I just want to get the field of 13 characters that comes after 'ABCD' i.e '120672-B21'... . Could you please let me know the shell script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract last occurence of the field

path = /first/second/third/fourth. i want to extract /first/second/third from path.my program something like this .... path=/first/second/third/fourth noc=`echo $path|tr '/' '\n'|wc -w` var='echo $noc|cut -d'/' -f 1-$noc --> is giving error. why $noc is not working here.any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcp_pavan
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a certain field from a CSV?

EDIT: This problem has been solved thanks to the help of scottn. Okay, so I have a CSV. Let's say it has the following entries in it: Jackie Chan,1954,M Chuck Norris,1930,M Bruce Lee,1940,M How would I, for example, extract the gender out of a certain person, maybe based on the year of... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chickeneaterguy
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Field in Current Line with Field in Previous

Hi Guys I have the following file Essentially, I am trying to find the right awk/sed syntax in order to produce the following 3 distinct files from the file above: Basically, I want to print the lines of the file as long as the second field of the current line is equal to the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: moutaye
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a field from a line with another field

i have something like this, cat filename.txt hui this si s"dfgdfg" omeone ipaddress="10.19.123.104" wel hope this works i want to replace only 10.19.123.104 with different ip say 10.19.123.103 i tried this sed -i "s/'ipaddress'/'ipaddress=10.19.123.103'/g" filename.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines whose third field is 0

Hi, I have a file with colon separated values like below. How can i get those lines whose third field is 0 (zero). In the below example, lines starting with stapler and tempo has its third field as 0 $ cat list.txt galaxy:b:5:world stapler:a:0:hello abc:a:4:stomper kepler:uic:5:jam... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ps output field extract

This is the output from ps -ef cmd . I have to extract the fourth (C) and the seventh (TIME) field root 3932344 3801216 Apr 08 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/rsct/bin/ERrmd root 3997836 1 0 Apr 08 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/uprintfd root 4128894 3801216 0 Apr 08 - 0:09... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anu_1
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)