Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign bash command to variable Post 302311424 by Moxy on Tuesday 28th of April 2009 03:31:55 PM
Old 04-28-2009
Thanks otheus.. thats a much nicer way of doing it. Btw I meant to type bash not ash, I have never used the ash shell.. Think i might try it out now just for fun.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk command result to a variable

#!/bin/sh # ## MYSTRING = `awk '/myApp.app/' /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist` if then echo String not found defaults write /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary -dict-add -string Hide -bool YES -string Path -string... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dedmakar
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command value assign to variable

Hi, I am new to UNIX Scripting. I have been trying to use the CUT command to retrieve part of the header from a file and assign it to a variable. I have tried searching a lot, but I am still unsuccessful. Sample Header: HJAN BALANCE 20090616 I need to retrieve the date here, which always... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragz_82
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash assign mysql query single field to variable

I'm running a bash script query and assigning the output to a variable like this: exists=`mysql -u $USER_NAME --password=$PASSWORD -D "somedb" \ -e "SELECT * FROM somedb.sometable WHERE field1 ='$a' \ AND field2 ='$b' LIMIT 0 , 30";` which returns something like: echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash assign string to variable

Hi ,I am trying to assign string to variable ,but it doesn't work Also could you show me different ways to use grep,(I am trying to get the first,second and first column form file,and I am counting the chars) let name=`grep "$id" product | cut -c6-20` (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
25 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In bash script, how to assign output of a command to a variable while keeping tabs?

Hi, wondering if it's been asked before but didn't find matches from google. Basically I have this line: myvar=$(echo -e "a\tb") Now somehow the '\t' from the echo output gets replaced with white space and then stored in $myvar. It creates a problem for me later to use tab as delimiter to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: birddie
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assign a command to a variable - Help

Hi, I have the script below. When i assign SSH_COMMAND to "ssh -o ConnectTimeout=2 ${SERVER} ${AS_SUDO} ${COMMANDS}" and then execute it as ${SSH_COMMAND} I get the following error: ssh: Could not resolve hostname sudo: Name or service not known ssh: Could not resolve hostname sudo: Name or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohca2020
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using read to assign value to bash variable not working

Hi, I am attempting to assign the output of the following command, to two bash variables, var1 and var2 using "read," but it doesn't seem to be working. # openstack hypervisor stats show | awk -F'|' 'NR==14{print $2,$3}' vcpus 92 # echo $? 0 # openstack hypervisor... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
4 Replies
OPENVT(1)                                                            Linux 1.x                                                           OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [OPTIONS] [--] command DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c, --console=VTNUMBER Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work; -f, --force Force opening a VT without checking whether it is already in use; -e, --exec Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. If you want to use this feature in another context, be aware that openvt has to be a session leader in order for -e to work. See setsid(2) or setsid(1) on how to achieve this. -s, --switch Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT; -u, --user Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l; -l, --login Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed; -v, --verbose Be a bit more verbose; -w, --wait wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes; -V, --version print program version and exit; -h, --help show this text and exit. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a getopt_long() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)