Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting time diffrence between two lines in a log file Post 302311240 by namishtiwari on Tuesday 28th of April 2009 08:59:03 AM
Old 04-28-2009
Hi,

I have tried this so far but time diffrence is not coming , it is showing syntax error for the time diffrence line.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
#set -x
start_time=0;
end_time=0;
result=0;
while [ logfile ]
       do
           for line in logfile
           do
           var1=`grep "Entering ARRF_LIB_Evaluate" $line`
           start_time=`echo $var1 | cut -d " " -f4`
           echo "$start_time"
           var2=`grep "Exiting ARRF_LIB_Evaluate" $line`
           end_time=`echo $var2 | cut -d " " -f4`
           echo "$end_time"
           result=`expr $end_time - $start_time`
           echo $result
           done
done

When i ran this script i am getting --
[root@tsrh4ent shell_perl_script]# sh timediff.sh
02:11:03.162
02:11:03.240
expr: non-numeric argument

and it is going on in infinite loop, i want it like, when the logfile ends it should stop.

Kindly help me in this..

Thanks
NT

Last edited by namishtiwari; 04-28-2009 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: added $ before start_time

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can any how we can find the time diffrence...?

Hi, I am trying to caluate the time elasped by the job to run.For that i have used the following command: I have one file which contains the following more start.txt 991 STARTED Fri Aug 10 14:04:20 2007 Starting Job JOB_NAME. (...) 1036 STARTED Fri Aug 10 14:04:31 2007 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a log file based on date/time input and the date/time on the log file

Hi, I'm trying to accomplish the following and would like some suggestions or possible bash script examples that may work I have a directory that has a list of log files that's periodically dumped from a script that is crontab that are rotated 4 generations. There will be a time stamp that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: primp
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the time difference between two lines of the same log file

Hello Friends, I want to write a script for the following: nlscux62:tibprod> grep "2008 Apr 30 01:" SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-2.log | grep -i post | more 2008 Apr 30 01:01:23:928 GMT +2 SAPAdapter.SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-SA_EHV_SPEED_SFC_IN_03-2 Info AER3-000095 IDOC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyakam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines in file based on time

Hi, anyone has any ideas on how do we extract lines from a file with format similiar to this: (based on current time) Jun 18 00:16:50 .......... ............. ............ Jun 18 00:17:59 .......... ............. ............ Jun 18 01:17:20 .......... ............. ............ Jun 18... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: faelric
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get all lines in a file after particular time

Hi All, I am lookig for a way to get all the lines from a log file which has been updated 5 mins prior to the system time. The log file will be like below: 09:01:00 Started polling 09:01:05 Checking directory test 09:02:00 Error! Cannot access directory test 09:03:00 Polling I get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find time difference between two consecutive lines in same file.

Hello I have a file in following format: IV 08:09:07 NM 08:12:01 IC 08:12:00 MN 08:14:20 NM 08:14:15 I need a script to compare time on each line with previous line and show the inconsecutive line. Ex.: 08:12:00 08:14:15 A better way... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilibit
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read two lines at time from a file

Hello community, what I need to do is read 2 rows at time from a file. I have this simple solution: File to read: LINE1 LINE2 LINE3 LINE4 LINE5 LINE6 LINE7 LINE8Read routine:#!/bin/ksh sed '1,3d' /out.txt | while read line; do read line2 echo $line $line2 doneResult:LINE1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple lines at a time from file

Hello All, I have a file like below.... dn: cn=user1,ou=org,o=org cn=user1 uid=user1 cn=user2,ou=org,o=org cn=user2 uid=user2 cn=user3,ou=org,o=org cn=user3 cn=user33 uid=user3 cn=user4,ou=org,o=org cn=user4 uid=user4 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/Parse log file's lines using time difference/timestamp

I was looking at this script which outputs the two lines which differs less than one sec. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; use Time::Local; use constant SEC_MILIC => 1000; my $file='infile'; ## Open for reading argument file. open my $fh, "<", $file or die "Cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cele_82
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting all lines between two time stamp from the log

Can you help me to collect the entire logs between two time stamp. The below awk command collecting the logs only if the line has time stamp. awk '$0>=from && $0<=to' from="150318 23:19:04" to="150318 23:55:04" log file 150318 23:19:04 logentries 150318 23:29:04 logentries 150318... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkarthi
11 Replies
CONTROL.CTL(5)							File Formats Manual						    CONTROL.CTL(5)

NAME
control.ctl - specify handling of Usenet control messages DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/news/control.ctl is used to determine what action is taken when a control message is received. It is read by the parsecon- trol script, which is called by all the control scripts. (For an explanation of how the control scripts are invoked, see innd(8).) The file consists of a series of lines; blank lines and lines beginning with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines consist of four fields separated by a colon: message:from:newsgroups:action The first field is the name of the message for which this line is valid. It should be either the name of the control message, or the word ``all'' to mean that it is valid for all messages. The second field is a shell-style pattern that matches the email address of the person posting the message. (The poster's address is first converted to lowercase.) The matching is done using the shell's case statement; see sh (1) for details. If the control message is ``newgroup'' or ``rmgroup'' then the third field specifies the shell-style pattern that must match the group being created or removed. If the control message is of a different type, then this field is ignored. The fourth field specifies what action to take if this line is selected for the message. The following actions are understood: doit The action requested by the control message should be performed. In most cases the control script will also send mail to usenet. doifarg If the control message has an argument, this is treated as a ``doit'' action. If no argument was given, it is treated as a ``mail'' entry. This is used in ``sendsys'' entries script so that a site can request its own newsfeeds(5) entry by posting a ``sendsys mysite'' article. On the other hand, sendsys ``bombs'' ask that the entire newsfeeds file be sent to a forged reply-to address; by using ``doifarg'' such messages will not be processed automatically. doit=file The action is performed, but a log entry is written to the specified log file, file. If file is the word ``mail'' then the record is mailed. A null string is equivalent to /dev/null. A pathname that starts with a slash is taken as the absolute filename to use as the log. All other pathnames are written to /var/log/news/file.log. The log is written by writelog (see newslog(8)). drop No action is taken; the message is ignored. log A one-line log notice is sent to standard error. Innd normally directs this to the file /var/log/news/errlog. log=file A log entry is written to the specified log file, file, which is interpreted as described above. mail A mail message is sent to the news administrator. Lines are matched in order; the last match found in the file is the one that is used. For example, with the following three lines: newgroup:*:*:drop newgroup:tale@*.uu.net:comp.*|misc.*|news.*|rec.*|sci.*|soc.*|talk.*:doit newgroup:kre@munnari.oz.au:aus.*:mail A newgroup coming from ``tale'' at a UUNET machine will be honored if it is in the mainstream Usenet hierarchy. If ``kre'' posts a new- group message creating ``aus.foo'', then mail will be sent. All other newgroup messages are ignored. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.8, dated 1996/09/06. SEE ALSO
innd(8), newsfeeds(5), scanlogs(8). CONTROL.CTL(5)