Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog file permission
Operating Systems AIX syslog file permission Post 302311167 by elmesy on Tuesday 28th of April 2009 05:22:04 AM
Old 04-28-2009
syslog file permission

Hi,

I have setup syslog.conf to rotate and compress a messages file but the only problem is when it creates the new log file it creates it with the following permissions -rw-r-----. I just wondered if there is anywhere where i can specify what permissions this new log file is created with so I can set other to read rather than just doing a chmod?

Thanks,

Matt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The file permission

I have a file ( /tmp/file.txt ) , the file owner is user1:edp , the permission is 644 , I want everyone can overwrite the file but don't change the file owner and permssion , could suggest what can I do ? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission

Hi, I have one question. My home directory of my unix account is open for everyone. If other account copy my files to their directory, is there a way that I can find out who did it. Does the system administrator have some kind of events logs to find out? Thank you so much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanice
3 Replies

3. Solaris

File permission

Hi Folks I have a file with the following permission. -r-sr-lr-- 1 apps appsgp 7612 Dec 19 2001 startup Any idea what is the in the group means? In my mind I believe I need to be root to set l in the group. Am I right? I don't have root access now. When I (as apps) a chmod... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlee411
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission on file

i have two user named sourav and jishu. i have created a file named source.txt in sourav. i made another user called shovon. i want to give read write permission of souce.txt for shovon but not for jishu. how can i set permission only for jishu ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sourav_ray
1 Replies

6. Solaris

file permission

hi frnds can u explain /etc/shadow file have read and write permissions for root only but while normal user changes his passwd it also updated in that file whats the logic behind that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan ega
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file permission

Hi All, https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/105758-chmod-parent-sub-directories.html I have to change permission for the directories and subdirectories in single command when googled i found some updates but i understand what is switch. If there is a command please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permission

I have an application with the user mark and another user james is trying to run the application and ending up with file permission issues. The user mark has set the umask as 002, I wanted to have a setting so that anyone can run the application without any file permission issues. Can anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
2 Replies

9. AIX

Syslog log file permission not getting modified.

I'm trying to set the permission for the syslog log file in syslog,conf. --------- The below is my configuration file ## example: # "mail messages, at debug or higher, go to Log file. File must exist." # "all facilities, at debug and higher, go to console" # "all facilities, at crit or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

File permission

Hi, Could you please tell me the OS command to grant as similar to below permission? rwxrwxr-x OS -- HP-UX Regards, Maddy (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
8 Replies
SAVELOG(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SAVELOG(8)

NAME
savelog - save a log file SYNOPSIS
savelog [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-t] [-p] [-c cycle] [-l] [-j] [-J] [-1 .. -9] [-C] [-d] [-l] [-r rolldir] [-n] [-q] [-D dateformat] file ... DESCRIPTION
The savelog command saves and optionally compresses old copies of files. Older versions of file are named: file.<number><compress_suffix> where <number> is the version number, 0 being the newest. Version numbers > 0 are compressed unless -l prevents it. Version number 0 is not compressed because a process might still have file opened for I/O. Only cycle versions of the file are kept. If the file does not exist and -t was given, it will be created. For files that do exist and have lengths greater than zero, the following actions are performed: 1) Version numbered files are cycled. Version file.2 is moved to version file.3, version file.1 is moved to version file.2, and so on. Finally version file.0 is moved to version file.1, and version file is deleted. Both compressed names and uncompressed names are cycled, regardless of -l. Missing version files are ignored. 2) The new file.1 is compressed unless the -l flag was given. It is changed subject to the -m, -u, and -g flags. 3) The main file is moved to file.0. 4) If the -m, -u, -g, -t, or -p flags are given, then an empty file is created subject to the given flags. With the -p flag, the file is created with the same owner, group, and permissions as before. 5) The new file.0 is changed subject to the -m, -u, and -g flags. OPTIONS
-m mode chmod the log files to mode, implies -t -u user chown log files to user, implies -t -g group chgrp log files to group, implies -t -c cycle Save cycle versions of the logfile (default: 7). The cycle count must be at least 2. -t touch new logfile into existence -l don't compress any log files (default: do compress) -p preserve owner, group, and permissions of logfile -j compress with bzip2 instead of gzip -J compress with xz instead of gzip For xz no strength option is set, and xz decides on the default based on the total amount of physical RAM. Note that xz can use a very large amount of memory for the higher compression levels. -1 .. -9 compression strength or memory usage (default: 9, except for xz) -C force cleanup of cycled logfiles -d use standard date for rolling -D dateformat override date format, in the syntax understood by the date(1) command -r use rolldir instead of . to roll files -n do not rotate empty files -q be quiet BUGS
If a process is still writing to file.0, and savelog moves it to file.1 and compresses it, data could be lost. SEE ALSO
logrotate(8) Debian 30 Dec 2017 SAVELOG(8)