Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cut file using regular expressions Post 302311073 by rubin on Monday 27th of April 2009 10:06:55 PM
Old 04-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by etownbetty
I have a file with approximately 262,000 fields and I want to split it according to pairs of fields. The fields have headers and I want to create smaller files with just the columns between the fields (specified fields inclusive).
I know this would be easy with the "cut" command if I knew the field numbers, but I only know the field names, so I have to cut according to the field name.

Another one:

Code:
awk  'NR==1{ for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) ($i==s) ? n=i : ($i==e) ? m=i : l }
           { for(i=n;i<=m;i++) printf $i FS; print l}' s="set" e="test"  file

Use gawk if you can ( mawk fails - max no. of fields 32767 ), on Solaris use nawk.

Last edited by rubin; 04-27-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: removed extra {}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

How can i create a regular expression which can detect a new line charcter followed by a special character say * and replace these both by a string of zero length? Eg: Input File san.txt hello hi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expressions

Hi, below is a piece of code written by my predecessor at work. I'm kind of a newbie and am trying to figure out all the regular expressions in this piece of code. It is really a tough time for me to figure out all the regular expressions. Please shed some light on the regular expressions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regular expressions

I have a flat file with the following drug names Nutropin AQ 20mg PEN Cart 2ml Norditropin Cart 15mg/1.5ml I have to extract digits that are before mg i.e 20 and 15 ; how to do this using regular expressions Thanks ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions

In regular expressions with grep(or egrep), ^ works if we want something in starting of line..but what if we write ^^^ or ^ for pattern matching??..Hope u all r familiar with regular expressions for pattern matching.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions help

need a regex that matches when a number has a zero (0) at the end of it so like 10 20 120 30 330 1000 and so on (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have a file that I'm trying to find all the cases of phone number extensions and deleting them. So input file looks like: abc x93825 def 13234 x52673 hello output looks like: abc def 13234 hello Basically delete lines that have 5 numbers following "x". I tried: x\(4) but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

I am new to shell scripts.Can u please help me on this req. test_user = "Arun" if echo "test_user is a word" else echo "test_user is not a word" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrababu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions

I need to pick a part of string lets stay started with specific character and end with specific character to replace using sed command the line is like this:my audio book 71-skhdfon1dufgjhgf8.wav' I want to move the characters beginning with - end before. I have different files with random... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)