Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Merge / combine / join / paste 2 text files side-by-side Post 302311047 by cajunfries on Monday 27th of April 2009 06:22:22 PM
Old 04-27-2009
yes!!

Thanks rubin!!

That works perfectly - regardless as to which of the 2 files is longer.

Exactly what I've been looking for. (Now if I could just understand it)

Thanks again!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Merge Two .xls files side by side into a single .xls

Hi all, please help me out in below requirement. I have two .xls files say abc.xls and bbc.xls , i want to merge these two files into a single file ..say xyz.xls side by side Ex: abc.xls Eno Ename 101 hello 102 hero 103 india bbc.xls Eno Ename 201 delhi 202 Hyd 203... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish99
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Merge Two .xls files side by side into a single .xls

Hi all, please help me out in below requirement. I have two .xls files say abc.xls and bbc.xls , i want to merge these two files into a single file ..say xyz.xls side by side Ex: abc.xls bbc.xls Eno Ename Eno Ename 101 hello ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish99
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 text files to one text file side by side

Inquiring minds want to know.... I need to take two files that I have latitude and longitude values and then combine them into one file with the values side by side separated by a space. the first file is temp113-lat.txt and the second is temp113-lon.txt. They each have values listed in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahinkebein
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 3 columns side by side

I know this is a stupid question for you guys! half day googling and i got nothing :( i have 3 variables/files, say: $X1 or file1: # there is one whitespace space after each line | 21 | 9 | 28 | 100 | 51 $X2 or file2: # there is one whitespace space... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amaulana
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to place selected columns from a group of files side by side in a new file

Hi Everyone, I need a shell/perl script to bring selected columns from all the files located in a directory and place them in a new file side by side. File1: a b c d 2 3 4 5 f g h i .......... File2: I II III IV w x y z .............. and so on many files are there...... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste two file side by side together based on specific pattern match problem

Input file_1: P78811 P40108 O17861 Q6NTW1 P40986 Q6PBK1 P38264 Q6PBK1 Q9CZ49 Q1GZI0 Input file_2: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing 3 files side by side based on similar values in rows

Hi I'm trying to compare 3 or more files based on similar values and outputting them into 3 columns. For example: file1 ABC DEF GHI file2 DEF DER file3 ABC DER The output should come out like this file1 file2 file3 ABC ABC (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerofire123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK to merge multiple files side by side

I have about 100s of files of type text in a known directory. I want to merge all files side by side. Number of lines in all the files will remain same. For example file1 contains cat dog File 2 contains rat mat Output file should be cat rat dog mat Using awk I was able to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Paste many files together side by side

Hi, Thank you for your help in advance :D. I have thousands of files like... file01 file02 file03 . . . file6324 I would like to paste every other file side by side so it looks like file01 file02 file03 file04 ...e.t.c file6323 file6324 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaz1990
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two text files side by side

Hi everyone, I need to merge two files side by side The files look something like this: HOSTNAME fishtornado-K52F 127.0.1.1 UPTIME 20:17:01 up 2:19, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.05 DISK USAGE (Size/Used/Avail/Use%) 29G 6.5G 21G 25% RUN QUEUE PID COMMAND USER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FishTornado
4 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)