Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: KSH: Test telnet and exit
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH: Test telnet and exit Post 302310442 by calex on Friday 24th of April 2009 08:25:18 PM
Old 04-24-2009
KSH: Test telnet and exit

Hi,

I need to do a test Telnet in KSH and if the connection is good then disconnect the telnet session with out logging in and without exiting the shell script.

Example output of a good connection:

$telnet xxx.xx.xx.xxx xxxx
Trying xxx.xx.xx.xxx...
Connected to xxx.xx.xx.xxx.
Escape character is '^]'.

This is more to verify that the port is up than anything else. Due to the firewall rules on the destination side I cant just ping and get a valid result; so telnet is the only way of verifying they are up. Smilie

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit from telnet kills orbix process

Hi, I'm using a bourne shell to kick off a 3rd Pty app. This app uses Orbix. When I exit from the telnet session which started the app or hit CTRL-C at the command line, the orbix process dies, yet all other process remain. I've tried starting the app as a background process, but it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgarm
1 Replies

2. Programming

Exit Code in HP-UX KSH.

In one of my programs another process is called using the system command e.g. lv_error = system("myproc"); where lv_error is declared as an int. myproc would be returning 0 for success and 1 for failure. e.g. if (success) { return(0); }else{ return(1); } When the return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbb
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit from telnet when run Remotely

ssh user@host -q -n 'grep `hostname` /etc/hosts; telnet 10.100.23.45 1234;' When i run this command remotely it is hanging and not giving me the prompt, Can anyone tell me how can I exit a telnet command remotely please. Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i test for a file exit?

How can i test for a file if it is exist in the current directory or not using test? i try this: if then echo "File not exist" else do somthing....... fi but this is not working (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto-exit from telnet prompt

Hi, Hope all your are doing well. Need a suggestion from you. I am writing an automated shell script that will effectively check the telnet connectivity with different backends from present deployment server. Ideally, this script reads each backend hostname from a configuration file and fires... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
4 Replies

6. AIX

telnet to test connectivity

From a Windows command prompt, when I want to test whether an IP and port is open to a connection I can use telnet: telnet 1.2.3.4 5050 ..tests whether I can connect to port 50 on host 1.2.3.4. What is the correct context to do a similar test from an AIX console? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test for the ssh exit status in script?

Hello; I regularly run monitoring scripts over ssh to monitoring scripts But whenever a server is hung or in maintenance mode, my script hangs.. Are there anyways to trap exit status and be on my way ?? Looked at the ssh manpage and all I can see is a "-q" option for quiet mode .. Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test exit status of last cmd via ssh

see below for a housekeeping script which constructs an ssh cmd using some server/path/sudo info found in $HRINST. the script should hop to each server and if it finds a file to cleanup, moves it to the archive dir if there is nothing to move, it should report so and email the output ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script to test telnet connection using port

Hello, I need to test telnet connections using port number for few hosts. Could you please help me? Thanks !! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skhichi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test with non-zero status does not exit shell

Hi there, I'm very used to use set -e to break my scripts if any command exits with a non-zero status. As a policy, I'm willingly expecting echo hello | grep a to break the script. The commands test 1 -eq $1 && echo hello exits with a non-zero status if $1 is not 1. BUT... It doesn't break... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies
telnetrc(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       telnetrc(4)

NAME
telnetrc, .telnetrc - Specifies setup commands for a telnet session SYNOPSIS
$HOME/.telnetrc DESCRIPTION
The .telnetrc file contains the setup information for a telnet session. It is a hidden file in your home directory and must be readable by the user logging in. The file can consist of multiple entries for each remote host to which a user can connect. A remote host entry consists of multiple lines. The first line is the name of a remote host. The subsequent lines must begin with blank spaces, and contain telnet subcommands. These sub- commands are processed as though they were typed in manually. Lines beginning with a number sign (#) are comment lines. See telnet(1) for a complete list of telnet subcommands. To specify subcommands that apply to all systems, create an entry, using the word "DEFAULT" as the system name, and specify the telnet sub- commands in the subsequent lines. EXAMPLES
The following shows a sample .telnetrc file: # Beginning of telnetrc file # Default subcommands that apply to all systems DEFAULT environ undefine USER # First system entry system1 set echo toggle crlf # Second system entry system2 set echo mode line toggle crlf FILES
User-customized telnet startup values. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: telnet(1). delim off telnetrc(4)