Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to find default file system Post 302309649 by pludi on Wednesday 22nd of April 2009 01:04:46 PM
Old 04-22-2009
For Linux it's one of ext2, ext3, reiserfs, jfs[2], or xfs, depending on distribution, version thereof, and what you selected on install. No, it's not defined in any file (usually, there might be exceptions)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

find the largest file in whole system

find the largest file in whole system (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
7 Replies

2. Solaris

How to find which file system was not mounted ?

Hello all, can someone help on how can i check if all file system were mounted during reboot? I know that we have first to look on /etc/vfstab; the containing of this one should be mounted during boot of system, and after with : df -k we can see if mentioned file system on vfstab were... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vitchi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and display largest file on system

What is the correct command for finding and displaying the largest file on the system? I don't know how to specify "largest" with "find", and pipe that to something that will display the file contents. Or should I be using cat, more, less, ls, or something else? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find the percentage of the directory in the file system.

Hi All, I want to find the percentage occupied by the directory in the file system. Say, i have the file system /home/arun/work under this file system i have the directories /home/arun/work/yesterday /home/arun/work/today /home/arun/work/tomorrow The size of the file system is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file whick is consuming larger disk space in file system

Hello, Can anybody please tell me the command to find out the filesystem or a file which is consuming larger disk space sing i want to find out the file and want to compress it please help me out any help would be appreciated (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshpashine
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find user owner of the most recently file in the system

Good evening everybody, I have to find the user owner of the most recently file in the system How can I do? :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find File system according to device

Hi guys, I want to translate the device name from the command "iostat" to file system name in order to check IO problems of DB's data files. What is the way to do it? Thanks in advance, Nir (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find block size of ocfs2 file system

please some one help me to find the block size of ocfs2 file system in rehat linux 4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

My file system is 100%, can't find the huge file

Please help. My file system is 100%, I can't seem to find what is taking so much space. The total hard drive space is 150Gig free but I got nothing now. I did to this to find the big file but it's taking so much time. Is there any other way? du -ah / | more find ./ -size +200M... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

10. AIX

Command to find file system details on AIX

Hi , Could you please tell me how to find the following on AIX? 1.Command to find file system details? 2.What are all the files exist under a specific directory along with their sizes? In general we use, du -sh * | grep M under a directory which returns files having size of MB,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
18 Replies
FSTAB(5)							   File Formats 							  FSTAB(5)

NAME
fstab - static information about the filesystems SYNOPSIS
/etc/fstab DESCRIPTION
The file fstab contains descriptive information about the various file systems. fstab is only read by programs, and not written; it is the duty of the system administrator to properly create and maintain this file. Each filesystem is described on a separate line; fields on each line are separated by tabs or spaces. Lines starting with '#' are comments, blank lines are ignored. The order of records in fstab is important because fsck(8), mount(8), and umount(8) sequentially iterate through fstab doing their thing. The first field (fs_spec). This field describes the block special device or remote filesystem to be mounted. For ordinary mounts it will hold (a link to) a block special device node (as created by mknod(8)) for the device to be mounted, like `/dev/cdrom' or `/dev/sdb7'. For NFS mounts one will have <host>:<dir>, e.g., `knuth.aeb.nl:/'. For procfs, use `proc'. Instead of giving the device explicitly, one may indicate the (ext2 or xfs) filesystem that is to be mounted by its UUID or volume label (cf. e2label(8) or xfs_admin(8)), writing LABEL=<label> or UUID=<uuid>, e.g., `LABEL=Boot' or `UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106- -a43f08d823a6'. This will make the system more robust: adding or removing a SCSI disk changes the disk device name but not the filesystem volume label. Note that mount(8) uses UUIDs as strings. The string representation of the UUID should be based on lower case characters. The second field (fs_file). This field describes the mount point for the filesystem. For swap partitions, this field should be specified as `none'. If the name of the mount point contains spaces these can be escaped as `40'. The third field (fs_vfstype). This field describes the type of the filesystem. Linux supports lots of filesystem types, such as adfs, affs, autofs, coda, coher- ent, cramfs, devpts, efs, ext2, ext3, hfs, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, ntfs, proc, qnx4, reiserfs, romfs, smbfs, sysv, tmpfs, udf, ufs, umsdos, vfat, xenix, xfs, and possibly others. For more details, see mount(8). For the filesystems currently supported by the running kernel, see /proc/filesystems. An entry swap denotes a file or partition to be used for swapping, cf. swapon(8). An entry ignore causes the line to be ignored. This is useful to show disk partitions which are currently unused. An entry none is useful for bind or move mounts. mount(8) and umount(8) support filesystem subtypes. The subtype is defined by '.subtype' suffix. For example 'fuse.sshfs'. It's recommended to use subtype notation rather than add any prefix to the first fstab field (for example 'sshfs#example.com' is deprea- cated). The fourth field (fs_mntops). This field describes the mount options associated with the filesystem. It is formatted as a comma separated list of options. It contains at least the type of mount plus any additional options appropri- ate to the filesystem type. For documentation on the available mount options, see mount(8). For documentation on the available swap options, see swapon(8). Basic file system independent options are: defaults use default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async. noauto do not mount when "mount -a" is given (e.g., at boot time) user allow a user to mount owner allow device owner to mount comment for use by fstab-maintaining programs nofail do not report errors for this device if it does not exist. The fifth field (fs_freq). This field is used for these filesystems by the dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped. If the fifth field is not present, a value of zero is returned and dump will assume that the filesystem does not need to be dumped. The sixth field (fs_passno). This field is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2. Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware. If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked. The proper way to read records from fstab is to use the routines getmntent(3) or libmount. FILES
/etc/fstab, <fstab.h> SEE ALSO
mount(8), swapon(8), fs(5), nfs(5), xfs(5), proc(5), getmntent(3) HISTORY
The ancestor of this fstab file format appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
This man page is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2010 FSTAB(5)