Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX how to identified this iostat value Post 302309482 by adzuanamir on Wednesday 22nd of April 2009 03:04:45 AM
Old 04-22-2009
how to identified this iostat value

Hi All AIX expert
i'm using AIX 5.2
When i execute this command which is :

----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> iostat -a

System configuration: lcpu=4 disk=30

tty: tin tout avg-cpu: % user % sys % idle % iowait
0.1 7.9 80.6 2.0 17.1 0.4
" Disk history since boot not available. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In linux, if the % idle is below 20%, then the explanation is "If '%idle' goes below 20%, the system maybe queuing up disk I/Os and response time suffers."

But i'm not sure with AIX, what does that % idle represent and the rest such as % user and % iowait....

When i have above read, does that mean my disk I/O in a danger situation??

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with iostat ...

All, I am attempting to help tune a Sun for better performance (mainly for SAS 9.1), and have found indicators pointing to poor I/O utilization. I have run iostat -cx, and found one device in particular where the %w is in the 90's during processing. I have a feeling that this is where the SAS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies

2. Solaris

iostat -Eni

Sorry for asking basics. What exactly is the situation if device ID is same in iostat -Eni. What we must do then? Is there any relation b/w iostat and cfgadm? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayahari
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

iostat on solaris

Friends. I have to compare iostat -x output with a tool on solaris. Now there is column called wait in the output field which is showing zero. Now, in order to create some load on my system this is what i am doing I am creating a file using dd command , the size of which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

iostat on Redhat 5

A find for the "iostat" command on a redhat 5 update 4 comes back with no results. Any separate rpm needs to be installed to get the binary for this ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

5. Solaris

iostat -En errors

I all, I would like to know what are the causes of : -soft error -harderror -transport error and how to avoid and repare them. I got the iostat out put below: atng-mm01% iostat -En | grep -i hard c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 1 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 c0t0d1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaza
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to use IOSTAT command

Hello everyone, Can you please explain me what kind of information do IOSTAT show ? iostat -xnz 3 show me those informations: The I/O of the c0t0d0 disk is normal ? extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

7. AIX

Help with iostat

Hello, I support Oracle 11g on AIX 7.1. Using the command $iostat -D hdisk2 hdisk4 hdisk5 5 I get the following output: hdisk5 xfer: %tm_act bps tps bread bwrtn 44.0 1.4M 178.2 1.4M 14.7K read: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledba1024
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to identify specific runs in input and print only lines identified

In the perl one-liner below I am identifying the runs of 6a or 6A in each line starting with >. The code seems close but it prints each > line no matter if it has 6a or 6A in it. Only the line with the 6a or 6A needs to be printed. So using the input file, only the >hg19_refGene_NM_001918_3... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies
sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)						File Formats Manual					       sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)

NAME
sys_attrs_pwrmgr - pwrmgr subsystem attributes DESCRIPTION
This reference page lists and describes attributes for the Power Manager (pwrmgr) kernel subsystem. To change these attributes so that they take effect each time you boot the system, you create a stanza file with the attribute settings you want and then use the sysconfigdb com- mand to update the system configuration database with the information in this file. See the EXAMPLES section for more information about this process. Refer to the sys_attrs(5) reference page for an general introduction to the topic of kernel subsystem attributes. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) CPU slowdown after the CPU becomes idle. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) all power management functions (for CPU, disks, and graphics hardware). The number of min- utes to wait before powering down registered disks after they become idle. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) disk spindown after registered disks become idle. The number of minutes before entering DPMS off mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS off mode is disabled. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) Display Power Management Signaling (DPMS) modes for graphics display hardware. The number of minutes before entering DPMS standby mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS standby mode is disabled. The number of minutes before entering DPMS suspend mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS suspend mode is disabled. EXAMPLES
The following example shows a sample stanza file named power_mgr.stanza: pwrmgr: default_pwrmgr_state=1 cpu_slowdown=1 disk_spindown=1 disk_dwell_time=20 graphics_powerdown=1 graphics_standby_dwell=5 graphics_suspend_dwell=10 graphics_off_dwell=15 This file: Enables power management in general, plus all three of the power management options for idle hardware (CPU slowdown, disk spin- down, and DPMS modes for graphics displays) Specifies a wait of 20 minutes before spinning down a disk after it has become idle Specifies a wait of 5, 10, and 15 minutes before entering DPMS standby, suspend, and off modes, respectively, after graphics display hardware has become idle See stanza(4) for more information about stanza files. The following command updates the /etc/sysconfigtab database with the information in the stanza file: # sysconfigdb -a -f power_mgr.stanza pwrmgr See sysconfigdb(8) for more information about using this command to update the system configuration database. SEE ALSO
Commands: sysconfigdb(8) Files: stanza(4) Others: sys_attrs(5) System Administration sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)