Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Secure coding standards for Shell Programming Post 302309444 by zaxxon on Wednesday 22nd of April 2009 12:28:54 AM
Old 04-22-2009
I have no link but here are some thoughts:
  • Check if file permissions that can be set with chmod and chown/chgrp are ok for your needs.
  • Going remote should always use encrypted communication like with ssh/scp.
  • If you have a more "complicate" setup with different users, think of using sudo to fit your needs.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Coding Standards

Hi, I am looking for some coding standards for Unix Shell Scripting. Can anyone help me out in this? Regards, Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu_s
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Coding question for any experts out there

Given this one long stream of data (all one line): <TransactionDetail><TransactionHeader><ErrorLogging>YES</ErrorLogging><HistoryLogging>YES</HistoryLogging><ErrorDetection>NO</ErrorD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding Standard For Unix Shell Scripting!!!

Is there any site on Coding Standard for Shell Scripting in UNIX. Please help me know!!!!! Thanks Om (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Scripting Standards

Would anyone have details of pre-existing Unix shell scripting standards. I've been asked to prepare a document outlining standards when writing korn shell scripts & don't really know where to start. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: janmolby
6 Replies

5. AIX

AIX and Secure Shell

I just installed 5.3 TL0 on a B50 server. I need to get ssh installed. I tried the links at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openssh-aix] I downloaded openssh_5.2p1_aix53.tar and openssh-4.5_srcpatch.tar. The installation failed. The notes say that this was compiled for TL 8, and mine is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geekasaurus
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GUI via secure shell

Hi i am connected to remote system using putty over ssh-1 version. i can see the command line and able to perform the operations through it. is it possible to have a GUI interface of my login rather than terminal access? do i need to use any client other than putty ? any help is much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell script coding

I have a file f1.txt that contains string: f1.txt aaa bbb ccc ... I want to write code to search that each string in file f2.txt(this file contains 1000+line codes). file f2.txt .. .. ....aaa...xyz.. ... ... ...ppp... (dots . can be characters ot blank spaces) If particular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanchit
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with understand shell script coding

Good afternoon everyone, I am very new to UNIX shell scripting and I am trying to understand the following code. I know what it does but I need to modify it so it will allow me to pass a file name as *FILENAME* Thank for any guidance offered. if ] ; then match=`expr "$file" :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Walter Barona
2 Replies
true(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   true(1)

NAME
true, false - Returns a standard exit value SYNOPSIS
true false STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: true: XCU5.0 false: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. DESCRIPTION
The true command returns a 0 (zero) exit value. The false command returns a nonzero exit value. These commands are usually used in input to shell commands. NOTES
The special built-in utility : (colon) is sometimes more efficient than the true command. EXIT STATUS
[Tru64 UNIX] The nonzero value returned by the false command may vary from system to system. EXAMPLES
To construct a loop in a shell procedure, enter: while true do date sleep 60 done This procedure displays the date and time once a minute. To stop it, press the Interrupt key sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne Shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Standards: standards(5) true(1)