Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script for getting pid of spawn processes from shell Post 302309350 by sachin4sachi on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 04:53:12 PM
Old 04-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFullerMalv
$! can be interpreted as run previous command again, depending on the shell, so is not PID related.

If I was killing off all the child processes I would do something like:
Code:
for PROC in `ps -ef | grep " $$ " | grep -v $0 | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $2 }'`; do
  if [ -n "${PROC}" -a ${PROC} -ne 1 ]; then
    kill $PROC
  fi
done

As far as getting child PIDs into an array I'll leave that for a more experienced scripting guru!
Thanks for the solution TonyFullerMalv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KORN Shell - Spawn new shell with commands

I want to be able to run a script on one server, that will spawn another shell which runs some commands on another server.. I have seen some code that may help - but I cant get it working as below: spawn /usr/bin/ksh send "telnet x <port_no>\r" expect "Enter command: " send "LOGIN:x:x;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to know rhe PID for the Shell Script running

I have a Shell Scritp named "Statistics" which has a Infinate Wille Loop Running I want to restart this Srcipt "Statistics" when i try to run other srcipt Ex "ABC" so i want to kill the "Statistics" script in "ABC" so for this I what to know the PID for that Script "Statistics" which is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script creating too many processes.

I have a shell script that I am running every 60 seconds, but it is creating this process to the point that it is causing the server to perfrom poorly. Below is my script, what can I change to prevent this? while true do java -classpath .....( all my classes here) >/dev/null 2>&1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miller_K
3 Replies

4. AIX

Having problem with executing shell script to get the pid details!

Hello Everyone, I am new to shell scripting and also i am very new to AIX machine I have a question. I have shell script which contains the follwing "ps -e |grep $1 echo $2" i run this schell script by doing this ./startSehllscript 3444 passed with two parameters . Accroiding my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swati
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash: Regulating the number of processes a script can spawn

I've been working on some scripts in which I spawn some background processes. I'd like to be able to limit the number of processes, but have my script spawn additional processes as previous tasks finish. So, let's say I have 20 tasks to complete. Any given task could take from 1 to 10 minutes. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with spawn.. newbie to shell

Hi, I have a problem with the spawn execution with expect.. i have done the code for expect in a separate file and i am calling the this execution from the bash script.. as given below.. -bash-4.1$ cat main.sh #!/usr/bin/bash ./spawn.exp ========================== -bash-4.1$ cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishkumar432
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawn sftp and Shell commands

Hi everyone, I'm no killer in shell scripting, that is why I've searched and found a little script that explained how to do what I wanted to do : a FTP transfer from distant servers. I adapted it cause as such, it didn't work. As I needed to do some very simple shell commands (erase and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mederik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for one processes to complete in a shell script

Let's say I start process A.sh, then start process B.sh. I call both of them in my C.sh How can I make sure that B starts its execution only after A.sh finishes. I have to do this in loop.Execution time of A.sh may vary everytime. It is a parameterized script. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script handling processes

Hello I have a file which has around 120 lines of commands. I am trying to write a shell script like which reads the 'command' file and executes line by line with some additional (common argument) with maximum 6 commands active at a time. Each of these commands when executed takes time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackyShane_36
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to report file size, pid and also kill the process

Hi All, Looking for a quick LINUX shell script which can continuously monitors the flle size, report the process which is creating a file greater than certain limit and also kill that process. Can someone please help me on this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasavimacherla
4 Replies
wait(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
[pid] DESCRIPTION
If no argument is specified, waits until all processes (started with of the current shell have completed, and reports on abnormal termina- tions. If a numeric argument pid is given and is the process ID of a background process, waits until that process has completed. Other- wise, if pid is not a background process, exits without waiting for any processes to complete. Because the system call must be executed in the parent process, the shell itself executes without creating a new process (see wait(2)). Command-Line Arguments supports the following command line arguments: The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, whose termination is to wait for. WARNINGS
Some processes in a 2-or-more-stage pipeline may not be children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), wait(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
wait(1)