Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting multiple accourances of a pattern from a file Post 302309250 by lassimanji on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 12:30:28 PM
Old 04-21-2009
if the file is like

a
c
b
check interface a
check interface b

and i want to perform the same action for both a and check interface a , thus i need to keep only one of them in my file. how do i do a sort in that case

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting multiple records from a huge file at one time

I have a very big file of 5gb size and there are about 50 million records in there. I have to delete the records based on recrord number that I know fromoutside with out opening the file. The record numbers are very random like 5000678, 7890005 etc. Can somebody let me know how i can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking for a file in file pattern before deleting it

Hi, I need a script where I have delete all the files of type abc*.* from the directory /lmn/opq (passed as parameter to script) But I need to check if there is file of type abc*.* existing in the directory or not before I use the rm abc*.* command. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting multiple lines from file

Hi, I have 10 different strings. I have to delete the whole line matching with any one string. I can use sed like below sed '/$keyword1/d' fileList.txt > temp_fileList.txt sed '/$keyword2/d' temp_fileList.txt > temp_fileList1.txt . . . Here is the problem i do not have fixed number... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_v4
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting a pattern from a file

say i have a file with the following contents 0x20 0x20 0xc23886 > 0xc12354 > 0xc567555555 i want to delete "> " pattern and keep the rest of the file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a pattern in file and deleting th ewhole line containing the pattern

Hi All, Please can someone assist in the script I have made that searches a pattern in a file and delete the whole line containing the pattern. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read value # check if the user has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching over multiple lines and deleting the first

I've got a longish log file with content such as Uplink traffic: Downlink traffic: I want to parse the log file and remove any line that contains the string "Uplink traffic:" at the beginning of the line, but only if the line following it beginnings with the string "Downlink traffic:" (in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorkie99
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in a file that match a pattern without opening it

In Unix, how do I delete lines in a file that match a particular pattern without opening it. File contents are foo line1 misc whatever foo line 2 i want to delete all lines that have the pattern "foo" without opening the file. File should eventually contain misc whatever (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Multiple Lines in Hosts File

Hello all, I'm using the Bash shell on Solaris 8. Please can someone tell me how I can delete multiple lines in the hosts file? I have a list of hosts that I want to quickly delete in the hosts file, but I'm looking for a quicker way than using VI to delete the lines one by one. Regards,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies
sdp_delete_media(3COMMPUTIL)		     Communication Protocol Parser Utilities Library Functions		      sdp_delete_media(3COMMPUTIL)

NAME
sdp_delete_media, sdp_delete_attribute - delete the specified media or attribute from the appropriate list SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag...] file... -lcommputil [ library...] #include <sdp.h> int sdp_delete_media(sdp_media_t **l_media, sdp_media_t *media); int sdp_delete_attribute(sdp_attr_t **l_attr, sdp_attr_t *attr); DESCRIPTION
The sdp_delete_media() function deletes the specified media from the media list. It is similar to deleting a node in a linked list. The function first finds the media that needs to be deleted using sdp_find_media(3COMMPUTIL). The found media is then passed to sdp_delete_media() to delete it. The function frees the memory allocated to media structure after deleting it. The sdp_delete_attribute() function deletes the specified attribute from the attribute list. It is similar to deleting a node in a linked list. The function first finds the attribute that needs to be deleted using sdp_find_media_rtpmap(3COMMPUTIL) or sdp_find_attribute(3COMM- PUTIL). The found attribute is then passed to sdp_delete_attribute() to delete it. The function frees the memory allocated to attribute structure after deleting it. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return 0. Otherwise, the appropriate error value is returned. The value of errno is not changed by these calls in the event of an error. ERRORS
These functions will fail if: EINVAL The mandatory input parameters are not provided or are NULL. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libcommputil(3LIB), sdp_find_attribute(3COMMPUTIL), sdp_find_media(3COMMPUTIL), sdp_find_media_rtpmap(3COMMPUTIL), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 12 Oct 2007 sdp_delete_media(3COMMPUTIL)