Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting multiple accourances of a pattern from a file Post 302309222 by lassimanji on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 10:58:04 AM
Old 04-21-2009
deleting multiple accourances of a pattern from a file

I have a .sh file with the following contents:
a
b
c
a
a
b
d
c

i want to delete the multiple occurances and keep one. say there are 3 a's in the file. I want to delete 2 of them and just keep 1 occurance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting multiple records from a huge file at one time

I have a very big file of 5gb size and there are about 50 million records in there. I have to delete the records based on recrord number that I know fromoutside with out opening the file. The record numbers are very random like 5000678, 7890005 etc. Can somebody let me know how i can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking for a file in file pattern before deleting it

Hi, I need a script where I have delete all the files of type abc*.* from the directory /lmn/opq (passed as parameter to script) But I need to check if there is file of type abc*.* existing in the directory or not before I use the rm abc*.* command. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting multiple lines from file

Hi, I have 10 different strings. I have to delete the whole line matching with any one string. I can use sed like below sed '/$keyword1/d' fileList.txt > temp_fileList.txt sed '/$keyword2/d' temp_fileList.txt > temp_fileList1.txt . . . Here is the problem i do not have fixed number... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_v4
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting a pattern from a file

say i have a file with the following contents 0x20 0x20 0xc23886 > 0xc12354 > 0xc567555555 i want to delete "> " pattern and keep the rest of the file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a pattern in file and deleting th ewhole line containing the pattern

Hi All, Please can someone assist in the script I have made that searches a pattern in a file and delete the whole line containing the pattern. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read value # check if the user has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching over multiple lines and deleting the first

I've got a longish log file with content such as Uplink traffic: Downlink traffic: I want to parse the log file and remove any line that contains the string "Uplink traffic:" at the beginning of the line, but only if the line following it beginnings with the string "Downlink traffic:" (in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorkie99
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in a file that match a pattern without opening it

In Unix, how do I delete lines in a file that match a particular pattern without opening it. File contents are foo line1 misc whatever foo line 2 i want to delete all lines that have the pattern "foo" without opening the file. File should eventually contain misc whatever (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Multiple Lines in Hosts File

Hello all, I'm using the Bash shell on Solaris 8. Please can someone tell me how I can delete multiple lines in the hosts file? I have a list of hosts that I want to quickly delete in the hosts file, but I'm looking for a quicker way than using VI to delete the lines one by one. Regards,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies
delete(n)							    [incr Tcl]								 delete(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
delete - delete things in the interpreter SYNOPSIS
itcl::delete option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The delete command is used to delete things in the interpreter. It is implemented as an ensemble, so extensions can add their own options and extend the behavior of this command. By default, the delete command handles the destruction of namespaces. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: delete class name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] classes called name. This deletes all objects in the class, and all derived classes as well. If an error is encountered while destructing an object, it will prevent the destruction of the class and any remaining objects. To destroy the entire class without regard for errors, use the "delete namespace" command. delete object name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] objects called name. An object is deleted by invoking all destructors in its class hierarchy, in order from most- to least-specific. If all destructors are successful, data associated with the object is deleted and the name is removed as a command from the interpreter. If the access command for an object resides in another namespace, then its qualified name can be used: itcl::delete object foo::bar::x If an error is encountered while destructing an object, the delete command is aborted and the object remains alive. To destroy an object without regard for errors, use the "rename" command to destroy the object access command. delete namespace name ?name...? Deletes one or more namespaces called name. This deletes all commands and variables in the namespace, and deletes all child names- paces as well. When a namespace is deleted, it is automatically removed from the import lists of all other namespaces. KEYWORDS
namespace, proc, variable, ensemble itcl 3.0 delete(n)