Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bad substituion error
Operating Systems Solaris bad substituion error Post 302309171 by incredible on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 09:21:53 AM
Old 04-21-2009
put this and execute the file..capture output..
btw , this is not the place to post your scripting ques..Smilie
#!/bin/bash -x

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bad Number Error

What is wrong with my syntax, I am getting bad number error. The following lines of code get the value from INI file but the variable is a combination of multiple variables. When compiling all together, I get a bad number error or changing the '((' with '{{' gets me bad substitution error. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moan71
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Env Variable substituion in Sed (-s option)

Folks, I've been trying to use the ENV variable with slashes(/) in its value inside the sed substitution.. Sed 's/myval/'$MYVAL'/' file1 >> file.tmp If MYVAL=<sometext>, it works. if MYVAL=/home/venkat, it doesnt. *************************** bash-2.05$ export VAL=/home/venkat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvsreddy_539
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'AT: Bad year' error in Irix 4.0.5E

I want to schedule some commands with 'at' on a SGI Indigo running irix 4.0.5. When i give the command : #at 16:00 /usr/bin/blahblah i get a "at: bad year error". The command is exactly according the man page. Also other forms, like 'at now + 1 hour', 'at 16:00 Mar 18', etc gives the same error.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: spaantje
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Arrays and Substituion

@xray =~ s/^ *//g; @xray =~ s/ *$//g; @xray =~ s/\s+/ /g; Guess I have a two part question ... First Is there a way to make substitutions, remove leading spaces, trailing spaces, and crunch multiple spaces into a single space, to the entire array, or must the substitutions be done on on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tough Substituion command

I have lines like: Mg2.qns W=0.175u Mg2.qpsb W=0.175u Mg4.qns W=0.175u Mg4.qpsb W=0.175u Which I need to become: Mg2.qns W=wmg2qns Mg2.qpsb W=wmg2qpsb Mg4.qns W=wmg4qns Mg4.qpsb W=wmg4qpsb To acheive this individually line by line I use a command like:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggggdddd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

hi, i created a shell script having the following content: #! /usr/bin/ksh FROM="myemail@domain.com" MAILTO="someemail@domain" SUBJECT="TEST" BODY="/export/home/adshocker/body.txt" ATTACH="/export/home/adshocker/attach.prog" echo $ATTACH ATTACH_NAME="${ATTACH##*/}" echo $ATTACH_NAME... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

Hello, In bash I can use the following: TMP=12345 MID=${TMP:1:1} the expected result is: 2 but when using KSH I'm getting a ''bad substitution" error. What is the correct syntaxin ksh? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error!

Hi All, I'm building a new shell script but i'm facing a problem with one line which is giving "bad substitution" error. Please assist script lines: #!/bin/sh printf "%s: " "Occurrence DATE (YYYYMMDD)"; read DATE shortdate=${DATE#??} o/p: ./test1: bad substitution This command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in awk substituion

I have a file with 20 blank spaces. I want to substitute each blank space for a string, and part of that string should include an incremental number Code while read line3 do awk -v var=${line3} '{i=var; sub("^]*$", "\\&\n@target G0.S"'$i'"\n@type xy"); print $0}'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bad substituion error : Dont understand why

Hi Folks - I'm getting the following error message when executing my script: $ chmod +x Winexe_Admin.sh $ ./Winexe_Admin.sh Script Name: Winexe_Admin.sh Script Name without EXT: Winexe_Admin ./Winexe_Admin.sh: line 43: ${_MAINPATH}${_LOGPATH}${LOGPATH$}${_YEAR}_${_MONTH}${_DAY}: bad... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
2 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)