Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tar everything matching a pattern Post 302308779 by bsddaemon on Monday 20th of April 2009 09:22:38 AM
Old 04-20-2009
I think you are doing the right way, but this could be a better solution:

Code:
% find . -name -type f "*.bak*" -exec tar -cvf MigrationBAKFiles.tar {} \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help need for pattern matching

Hi, I have a shell script that gives output in the form : abc/xyz/delays/A1toB1_000000 pqr/trf/delays/AtoB_45678567 etc I need tget the pattern A1toB1 , AtoB etc from this output. Can some one please tell me how this can be done. Thanks, Himi (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HIMANI
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the lines matching a pattern, in between two pattern, and generate a tab

Hi all, I'm looking for some help. I have a file (very long) that is organized like below: >Cluster 0 0 283nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HMXZS... at +/99% 1 279nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HN12A... at +/99% 2 281nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HM4TS... at +/99% 3 283nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HM946... at +/99% 4 279nt,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.chauliac
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - matching pattern one but not pattern two

All, I have the following file: -------------------------------------- # # /etc/pam.d/common-password - password-related modules common to all services # # This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files, # and should contain a list of modules that define the services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertBerrie
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find pattern suffix matching pattern

Hi, I am trying to get a result out of this but fails please help. Have two files /tmp/1 & /tmp/hosts. /tmp/1 IP=123.456.789.01 WAS_HOSTNAME=abcdefgh.was.tb.dsdc /tmp/hosts 123.456.789.01 I want this result in /tmp/hosts if hostname is already there dont want duplicate entry. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshwebspere
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching

hi i need your help in pattern matching for example if i hit the below url: http://html.net/page.php?id=1254 it has to redirect http://html.net/page.php/?id=1254 append / before the query. i tried below code and not working <If $uri =~ '^/(.*)(page.php)()$' and defined $query gt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big pattern file matching within another pattern file in awk or shell

Hi I need to do a patten match between files . I am new to shell scripting and have come up with this so far. It take 50 seconds to process files of 2mb size . I need to tune this code as file size will be around 50mb and need to save time. Main issue is that I need to search the pattern from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin_daharwal
2 Replies
Inline-FAQ(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Inline-FAQ(3)

NAME
Inline-FAQ - The Inline FAQ DESCRIPTION
Welcome to the official Inline FAQ. In this case, FAQ means: Formerly Answered Questions This is a collection of old, long-winded emails that myself and others have sent to the Inline mailing list. (inline@perl.org) They have been reviewed and edited for general Inline edification. Some of them may be related to a specific language. They are presented here in a traditional FAQ layout. General Inline Since there is only a handful of content so far, all FAQs are currently under this heading. How disposable is a .Inline or _Inline directory? I probably need to be more emphatic about the roll of _Inline/ cache directories. Since they are created automatically, they are completely disposable. I delete them all the time. And it is fine to have a different one for each project. In fact as long as you don't have ~/.Inline/ defined, Inline will create a new ./_Inline directory. You can move that to ./.Inline and it will continue to work if you want to give it more longevity and hide it from view. There is a long complicated list of rules about how [_.]Inline/ directories are used/created. But it was designed to give you the most flexibility/ease-of-use. Never be afraid to nuke 'em. They'll just pop right back next time. :) Whatever happened to the SITE_INSTALL option? SITE_INSTALL is gone. I was going to leave it in and change the semantics, but thought it better to remove it, so people wouldn't try to use it the old way. There is now _INSTALL_ (but you're not supposed to know that :). It works magically through the use of Inline::MakeMaker. I explained this earlier but it's worth going through again because it's the biggest change for 0.40. Here's how to 'permanently' install an Inline extension (Inline based module) with 0.40: 1) Create a module with Inline. 2) Test it using the normal/local _Inline/ cache. 3) Create a Makefile.PL (like the one produced by h2xs) 4) Change 'use ExtUtils::MakeMaker' to 'use Inline::MakeMaker' 5) Change your 'use Inline C => DATA' to 'use Inline C => DATA => NAME => Foo => VERSION => 1.23' 6) Make sure NAME matches your package name ('Foo'), or begins with 'Foo::'. 7) Make sure VERSION matches $Foo::VERSION. This must be a string (not a number) matching /^d.dd$/ 8) Do the perl/make/test/install dance (thanks binkley :) With Inline 0.41 (or thereabouts) you can skip steps 3 & 4, and just say 'perl -MInline=INSTALL ./Foo.pm'. This will work for non-Inline modules too. It will become the defacto standard (since there is no easy standard) way of installing a Perl module. It will allow Makefile.PL parameters 'perl -MInline=INSTALL ./Foo.pm - PREFIX=/home/ingy/perl' and things like that. It will also make use of a MANIFEST if you provide one. How do I create a binary distribution using Inline? I've figured out how to create and install a PPM binary distribution; with or without distributing the C code! And I've decided to share it with all of you :) NOTE: Future versions of Inline will make this process a one line command. But for now just use this simple recipe. --- The Inline 0.40 distribution comes with a sample extension module called Math::Simple. Theoretically you could distribute this module on CPAN. It has all the necessary support for installation. You can find it in Inline-0.40/modules/Math/Simple/. Here are the steps for converting this into a binary distribution *without* C source code. NOTE: The recipient of this binary distribution will need to have the PPM.pm module installed. This module requires a lot of other CPAN modules. ActivePerl (available for Win32, Linux, and Solaris) has all of these bundled. While ActivePerl isn't required, it makes things (a lot) easier. 1) cd Inline-0.40/Math/Simple/ 2) Divide Simple.pm into two files: ---8<--- (Simple.pm) package Math::Simple; use strict; require Exporter; @Math::Simple::ISA = qw(Exporter); @Math::Simple::EXPORT = qw(add subtract); $Math::Simple::VERSION = '1.23'; use Inline (C => 'src/Simple.c' => NAME => 'Math::Simple', VERSION => '1.23', ); 1; ---8<--- ---8<--- (src/Simple.c) int add (int x, int y) { return x + y; } int subtract (int x, int y) { return x - y; } ---8<--- So now you have the Perl in one file and the C in the other. The C code must be in a subdirectory. 3) Note that I also changed the term 'DATA' to the name of the C file. This will work just as if the C were still inline. 4) Run 'perl Makefile.PL' 5) Run 'make test' 6) Get the MD5 key from 'blib/arch/auto/Math/Simple/Simple.inl' 7) Edit 'blib/lib/Math/Simple.pm'. Change 'src/Simple.c' to '02c61710cab5b659efc343a9a830aa73' (the MD5 key) 8) Run 'make ppd' 9) Edit 'Math-Simple.ppd'. Fill in AUTHOR and ABSTRACT if you wish. Then change: <CODEBASE HREF="" /> to <CODEBASE HREF="Math-Simple.tar.gz" /> 10) Run: tar cvf Math-Simple.tar blib gzip --best Math-Simple.tar 11) Run: tar cvf Math-Simple-1.23.tar Math-Simple.ppd Math-Simple.tar.gz gzip --best Math-Simple-1.23.tar 12) Distribute Math-Simple-1.23.tar.gz with the following instructions: A) Run: gzip -d Math-Simple-1.23.tar.gz tar xvzf Math-Simple-1.23.tar B) Run 'ppm install Math-Simple.ppd' C) Delete Math-Simple.tar and Math-Simple.ppd. D) Test with: perl -MMath::Simple -le 'print add(37, 42)' --- That's it. The process should also work with zip instead of tar, but I haven't tried it. The recipient of the binary must have Perl built with a matching architecture. Luckily, ppm will catch this. For a binary dist *with* C source code, simply omit steps 2, 3, 6, and 7. If this seems too hard, then in a future version you should be able to just type: make ppm perl v5.12.1 2010-01-27 Inline-FAQ(3)