Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: user & groups
Operating Systems AIX user & groups Post 302308554 by tarunicon on Sunday 19th of April 2009 08:45:15 AM
Old 04-19-2009
just wanted to confirm is this also applicable to other Linux operating system ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dynamic user groups

Is it possible to dynamically allocate a new user group to an existing session on Solaris 5.8 I'd like to be able to allow certain users to access a set of scripts for the life of session (preferably there own session not a specific login created for the purpose) by dynamically giving the session... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hammer
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract directories, users, groups & permissions to excel

Hi As the title descibes I wish to create an excel spreadsheet which lists all directories in full allong with the users, groups and rights. I have not used Perl scripts before so I'm a little lost on this on. Cheers (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacLon
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding user to groups

How do I add a user to a group? And how do I determine the list of groups to add a user? Solaris 10 newbie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peteythapitbull
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User groups

Hi I have a user zak and 4 groups:- oracle stats data archive I want user zak to be part of the oracle and stats group but not be able to view,list anything in data and archive. Also anyone in the data and archive group should not be able to view,list anything in oracle and stats....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Setting user groups

Hi......... I'm trying to set a group of users to login to do a required super-user tasks without knowing the super-user passwd. For example...a user popodude logs in as self with passwd..system accepts the password & then automatically asks for the super-user account passwd. My goal is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Remi
1 Replies

6. AIX

Security user Can't change the groups.

Dears Security users in AIX don’t have permission to change the group of the user thru Smitty Users When they try to change the group of the users to any group they'll get permission denied Security profile in Smitty : User... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add user to multiple groups

hi all i am new to solaris how to add a user to multiple(secondary) groups. user :anna Groups : delhi ,mumbai,pune i need like this in cat /etc/group delhi::anna mumbai::anna pune::anna i tried using usermod -a -G hyd anna that does int work how to delete user from group... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for to view all users & groups history in root

Dear All, I want to know all users & group history in one file, for root terminal through shell or any other option (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpoobathi
5 Replies

9. AIX

Nested user groups

Is there a command to nest a group in another group in AIX. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get User list from different groups and root?

Hi all, I want to list out users from different group and root, who are roaming in our group or root as a user. how can i list out this users ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpatel97
1 Replies
group(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  group(4)

NAME
group - Group file DESCRIPTION
The /etc/group database contains the following information for each group: Group name Encrypted password Numerical group ID A comma-sepa- rated list of all users allowed in the group Note: Do not put any spaces between a comma and a username; otherwise, the username following the comma will not be made a part of the desired group. The /etc/group file is an ASCII file, with the fields separated by colons. Each group is separated from the next by a new line. If the password field is null, no password is demanded. Because of the encrypted passwords, it can and does have general read permission and can be used, for example, to map numerical group IDs to names. Note that commands or scripts used for adding users to groups are subject to the 225 character limit on line lengths. However, you can split lines as appropriate. RESTRICTIONS
Increasing the number of groups that a user is in beyond 16 can affect services that use ONC RPC. Tru64 UNIX ONC RPC supports up to 32 groups for compatibility with ULTRIX Version 4.2 and higher. Other vendors may support only 16 groups. ULTRIX versions before 4.2 support up to 8 groups. Users who increase their group membership beyond 8 or 16 groups will not be able to NFS mount file systems from servers that only support 8 or 16 groups over NFS. In addition, if root group membership is increased beyond 8 or 16, the NIS service will not work in a mixed NIS server environment where the servers support only 8 or 16 groups. The addgroup command limits the length of a group name to eight characters or less. FILES
/etc/group RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: addgroup(8), groupadd(8), adduser(8), groups(1), passwd(1) Functions: setgroups(2) Routines: initgroups(3) Files: passwd(4) delim off group(4)