Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Need advice on coding a daemon Post 302308487 by Housni on Saturday 18th of April 2009 04:41:08 PM
Old 04-18-2009
Need advice on coding a daemon

I hope this is the right forum to post this.

I need a little advice on something.

I want to create a daemon to run on a Linux server and this daemon should:
1. capture the `./configure` command so that it knows where a program installed via source would store it's binaries and, most importantly, configuration files.
2. somehow capture package manager activity so that it knows where the programs binaries and configuration files are.
3. detect when a service is started or stopped or restarted...basically, detect the change in status of a service. How does Linux know when a service is triggered? Is a /proc file or something like that triggered?

Would a daemon coded in Python work here? Also, what are the best options to capture a commands activity? strace? gdb?

For #1, I thought of just having my program read the bottom of the man's to get the location of the config files but a lot of programs don't have such details man's on Linux :/

My aim is to basically make a little program that self documents so that, for example, if an admin decides to install the latest PHP on a web server, compiled from source since the package manager doesn't have the latest version, my program should save that information to a file somewhere.

Any ideas?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can I use this coding

I apologise because I had pasted this question in the newbies forum first (because i am a bit of a newbie) but thought it might be better suited in here if i have to sepearate parameters can I use this syntax especially the or part (||) and is this correct if (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: w33man
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pro*c coding

Hi All, I am new to pro*C. I have a select statement as select a.ename,a.sal,a.empno from emp where &n=(select count(distinct(b.sal)) from emp b where a.sal<=b.sal for this query I have to write a pro*C program. So can you please send me the complete code. Then I will foloow the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user71408
1 Replies

3. Programming

Help for coding this programme

for a floating-point array x whose size is n, find the geometric mean.. GM =n x1.x2.x3...xn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allyjaah
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding in Phyton

I have the following Phyton script and want to print something if the option was selected For example if the user uses --npop=12, I want to check if the user has inputted --npop and do if npop selected, print npop Or if the user puts --fdata=npt02.dat I print something like if fdata... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
2 Replies
HALD(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   HALD(8)

NAME
hald - HAL daemon SYNOPSIS
hald [options] DESCRIPTION
hald is a daemon that maintains a database of the devices connected to the system system in real-time. The daemon connects to the D-Bus system message bus to provide an API that applications can use to discover, monitor and invoke operations on devices. For more information about both the big picture and specific API details, refer to the HAL spec which can be found in /usr/share/doc/hal-doc/spec/hal-spec.html depending on the distribution. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --daemon=yes|no Specify whether to run in the foreground or the background. --verbose=yes|no Enable verbose debug output. --use-syslog Enable logging of debug output to the syslog instead of stderr. Use this option only together with --verbose. --help Print out usage. --version Print the version of the daemon and exit. BUGS AND DEBUGGING
Please send bug reports to either the distribution or the HAL mailing list, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/hal on how to subscribe. First, to obtain useful debug traces you will need to have debuginfo packages installed. On a Fedora system this is in the hal-debuginfo package and can be installed via the yum update program. Second, shut down the existing hald daemon instance; on a Fedora system this is achieved by /etc/init.d/haldaemon stop After having shut down the daemon, you might want to run pkill hald to ensure that all the helper processe of hald are killed too. To start the HAL daemon, use /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes If the daemon crashes, you can start it under a debugger via gdb /usr/sbin/hald and then typing run --daemon=no --verbose=yes at the (gdb) prompt. To capture a back trace, use the bt command and attach this to the bug report. Please also attach the output of lshal(1) in the bug report if possible (it's not possible if the hald daemon crashed). If the nature of the bug has to do with hotplugging, attach two outputs of lshal(1) - one before the device hotplug event and one after. SEE ALSO
udev(7), dbus-daemon(1), lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-property(1), hal-find-by-property(1), hal-find-by-capability(1), hal-is- caller-locked-out(1) AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <david@fubar.dk> with a lot of help from many others. HALD(8)