Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: counting users?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting counting users? Post 302307939 by gordonheimer on Thursday 16th of April 2009 04:29:26 PM
Old 04-16-2009
thanks for the help guys Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting in unix

my script: count=0while test $count -lt 10do#do something for 0,1,2...9 count=$(($count+1))doneIt doesnt work. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?? thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting

Hi, I want to count how many rows are in a file for a specific column. eg. K NM K NM K NM K JK K NM K JK K NM so the file is tab-delimited. I want to count how many rows are in column 2 and how many NMs there are. I used awk awk '{OFS="\t"}; {count++} {print i,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting total users

wow, back again :) I am trying to write a program that has many functions, however one of the functions will count the total number of users in the database. I want to just use wc -l passwd (i've made a copy of passwd to play with, no worries lol) but I am worried that if any of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoVi3t
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting

Hi, The following output shows how many pmon process are started by users named : oracle or yoavb $ ps -ef |grep pmon |grep -v grep |grep -v ipmon oracle 11268 1 0 Sep 2 ? 36:00 ora_pmon_qerp oracle 17496 1 0 Oct 11 ? 8:58 ora_pmon_bcv oracle 15081 1 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
5 Replies

5. Solaris

To restrict the users not to change the passwords for NIS users

Hi All, How to restrict the NIS users not to change their passwords in for NIS users?? and my NIS user is unable to login to at client location what could be the problem for this ? Any body can help me. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alphabet counting

I have a text file in the following format CCCCCGCCCCCCCCCCcCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC AAAATAAAAAAAAAAAaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TGTTTTTTTTTTTTGGtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTT-TTTTTTTTTCTtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Each row/line will have 32 letters and each line will only have multiple occurrences of 2 letters out of a pool... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data counting

I have a large tab delimited text file with 10 columns for example chrM 412 A A 75 0 25 2 ..,AGAATt II chrM 413 G G 72 0 25 4 ..t,,Aag IIIH chrM 414 C C 75 0 25 4 ...a,.. III2 chrM 415 C T 75 75 25 4 TTTt,,,ATC III7 At... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Showing all users in 'users' and 'top' commands

Hi All, I work in a multi user environment where my school uses Red Hat Linux server. When I issue commands such as "top" or "users", I get to see what others are doing and what kinds of applications they are running (even ps -aux will give such information). "users" will let me know who else is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting?

Hi all, I promise this is my very last dumb question.. but how to you count how many unique names you have. My dataset is: >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac4 egege >Bac8 dgrjh >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac8 dgrjh What i want to know is that how many unique names there is, so the output would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iifa
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple users with individual passwords to users

hi, i am new to shell scripts i write a shell script to create multiple users but i need to give passwords to that users while creating users, command to write this script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DONFOX
1 Replies
CONSOLEHELPER(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  CONSOLEHELPER(8)

NAME
consolehelper - A wrapper that helps console users run system programs SYNOPSIS
progname [ options ] DESCRIPTION
consolehelper is a tool that makes it easy for console users to run system programs, doing authentication via PAM (which can be set up to trust all console users or to ask for a password at the system administrator's discretion). When possible, the authentication is done graphically; otherwise, it is done within the text console from which consolehelper was started. It is intended to be completely transparent. This means that the user will never run the consolehelper program directly. Instead, pro- grams like /sbin/shutdown are paired with a link from /usr/bin/shutdown to /usr/bin/consolehelper. Then when non-root users (specifically, users without /sbin in their path, or /sbin after /usr/bin) call the "shutdown" program, consolehelper will be invoked to authenticate the action and then invoke /sbin/shutdown. (consolehelper itself has no priviledges; it calls the userhelper(8) program do the real work.) consolehelper requires that a PAM configuration for every managed program exist. So to make /sbin/foo or /usr/sbin/foo managed, you need to create a link from /usr/bin/foo to /usr/bin/consolehelper and create the file /etc/pam.d/foo, normally using the pam_console(8) PAM mod- ule. OPTIONS
This program has no command line options of its own; it passes all command line options on to the program it is calling. SEE ALSO
userhelper(8) AUTHOR
Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> Red Hat Software 18 March 1999 CONSOLEHELPER(8)