Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Build Error: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type Post 302307794 by katwala on Thursday 16th of April 2009 10:52:25 AM
Old 04-16-2009
Network Build Error: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I'm getting the following Error:

prepare_pcap.c: In function `prepare_pkts':
prepare_pcap.c:127: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
prepare_pcap.c:138: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

====================================

This is the part of the relevant Code:

-----PREPARE_PCAP.H-----------

#if defined(__HPUX) || defined(__DARWIN) || defined(__CYGWIN) || defined(__FreeBSD__)
struct iphdr
{
#ifdef _HPUX_LI
unsigned int ihl:4;
unsigned int version:4;
#else
unsigned int version:4;
unsigned int ihl:4;
#endif
u_int8_t tos;
u_int16_t tot_len;
u_int16_t id;
u_int16_t frag_off;
u_int8_t ttl;
u_int8_t protocol;
u_int16_t check;
u_int32_t saddr;
u_int32_t daddr;
/*The options start here. */
};

------PREPARE_PCAP.C---------

int prepare_pkts(char *file, pcap_pkts *pkts) {
pcap_t *pcap;
struct pcap_pkthdr *pkthdr = NULL;
struct iphdr *iphdr;

iphdr = (struct iphdr *)((char *)ethhdr + sizeof(*ethhdr)); <<<LINE 127
if (iphdr && iphdr->version == 6) {
//ipv6
pktlen = (u_long) pkthdr->len - sizeof(*ethhdr) - sizeof(*ip6hdr);

----------------------------
This is where the error occurs. Can anyone please give me suggestion?

Thank you in Advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Accesing structure member:Error:dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

$ gcc -Wall -Werror struct.c struct.c: In function `main': struct.c:18: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type $ cat struct.c #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> /*Declaration of structure*/ struct human { char *first; char gender; int age; } man,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
3 Replies

2. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

3. Programming

error: field has incomplete type

Hello there, Here is how it goes - I have written a small test driver as an exercise to "Linux Device Drivers" and as a preparation for writing a real, functional driver. For the sake of seeing how far I got it working (I already implemented the open(0, read(), write() and ioctl() calls) I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyanov
4 Replies

4. Solaris

make[2]: warning: Clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete.

dear all when i compile any file under solaris it gives the below warning how can i disable it -bash-3.00$ make GNLPFT177 make: Warning: File `GNLPFT177.rc' has modification time 36 s in the future make GNLPFT177.c make: Entering directory `/devapp/jordev/batch/source' make: Warning: File... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
3 Replies

5. Programming

error: field `fatx_i' has incomplete type

I'm trying to compile a 2.4.26 kernel but I have to apply two patches to it. The patches are: linux-2.4.26-xbox.patch openMosix-2.4.26-1 This is the reason that it doesn't compile. There is only one error but I'm not familiar with C or C++(Unfortunately only Java and some lower-level... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lateralus01
2 Replies

6. Programming

Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

// Hello all, I am having this error "Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type " on these 2 lines: xpoint = my_point->x; ypoint = my_point->y; I am having no clue y this is happening. Any help would be greately appreciated!!!! #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
2 Replies

7. Programming

Dereferencing pointer to a shared memory struct

I have what should be a relatively simple program (fadec.c) that maps a struct from an included header file (fadec.h) to a shared memory region, but I’m struggling accessing members in the struct from the pointer returned by shmat. Ultimately, I want to access members in the shared memory structure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arette
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -exec with 2 commands doesn't work (error incomplete staement)

Hi Gurues, I need to modify an existing script that uses find to search a folder, and then move its contents to a folder. What I need to do is run gzip on each file after it's moved. So, I ran this little test: Put a ls.tar file on my $HOME, mkdir tmp, and then: virtuo@tnpmprd01: find .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: llagos
3 Replies

9. Programming

Compilation Error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I am getting a dereferencing pointer to incomplete type error when i compile the following code on lines highlighted in red. Can anyone help me in identifying what is wrong in the code? #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> typedef struct{ int info; struct node* link ; } node; void... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
3 Replies

10. Programming

Warning: pointer type mismatch

Hi all, I'm new programming in C, so I had the next message in my code: Dual.c:88:20: warning: pointer type mismatch in conditional expression : &clientSa.sin6.sin6.sin6_addr, Any help would be great #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: godna
1 Replies
index(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						 index(3C)

NAME
index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *index(const char *s, int c); char *rindex(const char *s, int c); DESCRIPTION
The index() and rindex() functions operate on null-terminated strings. The index() function returns a pointer to the first occurrence of character c in string s. The rindex() function returns a pointer to the last occurrence of character c in string s. Both index() and rindex() return a null pointer if c does not occur in the string. The null character terminating a string is considered to be part of the string. USAGE
On most modern computer systems, you can not use a null pointer to indicate a null string. A null pointer is an error and results in an abort of the program. If you wish to indicate a null string, you must use a pointer that points to an explicit null string. On some machines and with some implementations of the C programming language, a null pointer, if dereferenced, would yield a null string. Though often used, this practice is not always portable. Programmers using a null pointer to represent an empty string should be aware of this portability issue. Even on machines where dereferencing a null pointer does not cause an abort of the program, it does not necessarily yield a null string. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bstring(3C), malloc(3C), string(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 24 Jul 2002 index(3C)