Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with Regular Expressions Post 302307763 by jidsh on Thursday 16th of April 2009 09:19:55 AM
Old 04-16-2009
Need help with Regular Expressions

Hi,

In ksh, I am trying to compare folder names having -141- in it's name.
e.g.: 4567-141-8098 should match this expression '*-141-*'
but, -141-2354 should fail when compared with '*-141-*'
simlarly, abc should fail when compared with '*-141-*'
I tried multiple things but nevertheless, everything failed.
It would be great if someone can help me on this.

Thanks and Regads.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have following content in the file CancelPolicyMultiLingual3=U|PC3|EN RestaurantInfoCode1=U|restID1|1 ..... I am trying to use following matching extression \|(+) to get this PC3|EN restID1|1 Obviously it does not work. Any ideas? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

Hi Gurus, I need help with regular expressions. I want to create a regular expression which will take only alpha-numeric characters for 7 characters long and will throw out an error if longer than that. i tried various combinations but couldn't get it, please help me how to get it guys. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expressions

Hi, below is a piece of code written by my predecessor at work. I'm kind of a newbie and am trying to figure out all the regular expressions in this piece of code. It is really a tough time for me to figure out all the regular expressions. Please shed some light on the regular expressions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions

In regular expressions with grep(or egrep), ^ works if we want something in starting of line..but what if we write ^^^ or ^ for pattern matching??..Hope u all r familiar with regular expressions for pattern matching.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

#!/usr/bin/perl $word = "one last challenge"; if ( $word =~ /^(\w+).*\s(\w+)$/ ) { print "$1"; print "\n"; print "$2"; } The output shows that "$1" is with result one and "$2" is with result challenge. I am confused about how this pattern match expression works step by step. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have a file that I'm trying to find all the cases of phone number extensions and deleting them. So input file looks like: abc x93825 def 13234 x52673 hello output looks like: abc def 13234 hello Basically delete lines that have 5 numbers following "x". I tried: x\(4) but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

I am new to shell scripts.Can u please help me on this req. test_user = "Arun" if echo "test_user is a word" else echo "test_user is not a word" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrababu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions

I need to pick a part of string lets stay started with specific character and end with specific character to replace using sed command the line is like this:my audio book 71-skhdfon1dufgjhgf8.wav' I want to move the characters beginning with - end before. I have different files with random... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies
cmp(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cmp(1)

NAME
cmp - Compares two files SYNOPSIS
cmp [-l | -s] file1 file2 STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: cmp:XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Prints the byte number (decimal) and the differing bytes (octal) for each difference. Does not print data for differing files; returns only an exit value. OPERANDS
The path name of a file to be compared. The path name of a file to be compared. DESCRIPTION
The cmp command compares two files. If file1 or file2 is - (dash), standard input is used for that file. It is an error to specify - for both files. By default, the cmp command prints no information if the files are the same. If the files differ, cmp prints the byte and line number where the difference occurred. The cmp command also specifies whether one file is an initial subsequence of the other (that is, if the cmp command reads an End-of-File character in one file before finding any differences). Usually, you use the cmp command to compare nontext files and the diff command to compare text files. Note that bytes and lines reported by cmp are numbered from 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The files are identical. The files differ. This includes files of different lengths that are identical in the first part of both files. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To determine whether two files are identical, enter: cmp prog.o.bak prog.o The preceding command compares the files prog.o.bak and prog.o. If the files are identical, a message is not displayed. If the files differ, the location of the first difference is displayed. For instance: prog.o.bak prog.o differ: byte 5, line 1 If the message cmp: EOF on prog.o.bak is displayed, then the first part of prog.o is identical to prog.o.bak, but there is addi- tional data in prog.o. If the message cmp: EOF on prog.o is displayed, it is prog.o.bak that is the same as prog.o but also contains addition data. To display each pair of bytes that differ, enter: cmp -l prog.o.bak prog.o This compares the files and then displays the byte number (in decimal) and the differing bytes (in octal) for each difference. For example, if the fifth byte is octal 101 in prog.o.bak and 141 in prog.o, then the cmp command displays: 5 101 141 . . . ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of cmp: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: comm(1), bdiff(1), diff(1), diff3(1), sdiff(1) Standards: standards(5) cmp(1)