Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo how to edit linux system files? Post 302307519 by Corona688 on Wednesday 15th of April 2009 03:10:09 PM
Old 04-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFND-jimjim1
What I did was, I got PCLinuxOS as a live cd ISO and burned it. Then I could do anything like edit the code, if you mess up the system, just reboot and your fine.
Does the livecd come with a compiler? Without that, it's going to be really hard to edit the system itself. Edit the configuration, maybe, but the system?

Last edited by Corona688; 04-15-2009 at 04:16 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit Multiple Files in VI

Here's what I have... $ vi foo1 - open foo1 and work around for a while. I yank a few lines into a buffer and then :w to save. Next I :e foo2 to open foo2 and paste my buffer. I :w to save, but I would like to then be able to go directly back into foo1 where I was before I opened foo2. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

RTF files can they be converted once they are on linux system

:D mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt my dillemma is simple i have psion 5 mx wich is an epoc type machine not only does it only work on windows as far as I know but I have to convert the files (the usual stuff!) sometimes a humen error happens and the files that I want to transfer to the linux drive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit _config files

Hi, I am trying to edit sshd_config file through the vi editor. logged on as a root. when I try to write the file I get: Read-only file, not written; use ! to override when i type :w!, I get: Error: etc/ssh/sshd_config Permission denied. I want to change: #PermitRootLogin no to yes freeBDS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: emosms
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How files can be transferred from one system to another securely using Linux?

i need to know how files can be transfered from one system to another securely in linux. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibing
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit .profile to connect to Oracle- Linux 2.6.9-89

Hi, I want to connect to sqlplus through unix. I got the command to do it. But I was getting error: ./executeSQL.ksh: sqlplus: not found Then when I googled I found that we have to include Oracle Client path in .profile file. I don't know how to do it. Also I don't have permissions to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit files with cat

Hi, sometimes one wants to edit files while still seeing output of earlier commands in terminal. I've found out that cat test && cat - >> test does the trick for displaying file content and adding lines but I believe I saw a much cooler command that was also able to erase lines from files. I cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarleo
6 Replies

8. AIX

Accessing files on AIX system from Linux system

I have a following requirement in production system 1 : LINUX User: abcd system 2: AIX (it is hosting a production DB) Requirement user abcd from system 1 should have read access on archive log files created by DB on system 2. The log files are created with permissions 540 by user ora ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitnm1106
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip and edit many files

Experts - I have an requirement to gunzip and edit many files in a pair of directories. I have two scripts that work great when run separately, but I'm having problems combining the two. The goal is to gunzip the files found in the first script and pipe them to the bash/sed script and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
9 Replies
EDQUOTA(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						EDQUOTA(8)

NAME
edquota -- edit user quotas SYNOPSIS
edquota [-Hu] [-f file-system] [-p proto-username] -d | username ... edquota [-H] -g [-f file-system] [-p proto-groupname] -d | groupname ... edquota [-Hu] [-f file-system] [-h block#/inode#] [-s block#/inode#] [-t block grace time/inode grace time] -d | username ... edquota [-H] -g [-f file-system] [-h block#/inode#] [-s block#/inode#] [-t block grace time/inode grace time] -d | groupname ... edquota [-Hu] -c [-f file-system] username ... edquota [-H] -g -c [-f file-system] groupname ... DESCRIPTION
edquota is a quota editor. By default, or if the -u flag is specified, one or more users may be specified on the command line. Unless -h, -s, or -t are used, a temporary file is created for each user with an ASCII representation of the current disk quotas and grace time for that user. By default, quota for all quota-enabled file systems are edited; the -f option can be used to restrict it to a single file system. An editor is invoked on the ASCII file. The editor invoked is vi(1) unless the environment variable EDITOR specifies otherwise. The quotas may then be modified, new quotas added, etc. Setting a quota to - or unlimited indicates that no quota should be imposed. Set- ting a quota to zero indicates that no allocation is permited. Setting a soft limit to zero with a unlimited hard limit indicates that allocations should be permitted on only a temporary basis. The current usage information in the file is for informational purposes; only the hard and soft limits, and grace time can be changed. Users are permitted to exceed their soft limits for a grace period that may be specified per user (or per-file system for quota version 1). Once the grace period has expired, the soft limit is enforced as a hard limit. The default grace period is one week. By default, disk quotas are in KB, grace time in seconds. Disk and inodes quota can be entered with a humanize_number(9) suffix (K for kilo, M for mega, G for giga, T for tera). Time can be entered with Y (year), W (week), D (day), H (hour) and M (minute) suffixes. Suffixes can be mixed (see EXAMPLES below). If the -H option if used, current quota, disk usage and time are displayed in a human-readable format. On leaving the editor, edquota reads the temporary file and modifies the on-disk quotas to reflect the changes made. If the -p flag is specified, edquota will duplicate the quotas of the prototypical user specified for each user specified. The -h, -s, and -t flags can be used to change quota limits (hard, soft and grace time, respectively) without user interaction, for usage in e.g. batch scripts. The arguments are the new block and inode number limit or grace time, separated by a slash. Units suffix may be used, as in the editor above. If the -g flag is specified, edquota is invoked to edit the quotas of one or more groups specified on the command line. With quota version 2, there is a per-file system user or group default quota to be copied to a user or group quota on the first allocation. The -d flag adds the default quota to the list of users or groups to edit. For quota version 1, there is no default block/inode quota, and no per-user/group grace time. To edit the file system-wide grace time, use -d. On quota2-enabled file systems, the -c flag cause edquota to clear quota entries for the specified users or groups. If disk or inode usages is not 0, limits are reverted to the default quota. If disk and inode usages are 0, the existing quota entries are freed. Only the super-user may edit quotas. EXAMPLES
Edit quotas for group games on all quota-enabled file systems: edquota -g Set 4MB hard block limit, 2MB soft block limit, 2048 inode hard limit, 1024 inode soft limit, 2 weeks and 3 days (or 17 days) block and inode grace time for the default quotas on file system /home: edquota -h 4M/2k -s 2M/1k -t 2W3D/2W3D -f /home -u -d SEE ALSO
quota(1), humanize_number(3), libquota(3), fstab(5), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), quotarestore(8), repquota(8) BSD
January 29, 2012 BSD