Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers "cut" problem with leading spaces Post 302307479 by radoulov on Wednesday 15th of April 2009 01:13:05 PM
Old 04-15-2009
You have more than one space as a field separator,
you may consider using another tool:

Code:
sed 's/\( *[^ ]* *\)\{2\}//' infile

Last edited by radoulov; 04-15-2009 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: 3 -> 2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unix "cut' and "awk" in Windows XP?

Hi, How can I execute Unix's ksh equivalent of "cut' and "awk" in Windows XP? For example, I want to execute ksh commands from Windows command prompt. Is there a place I can download "cut.exe" and "awk.exe" ? Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ihot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a file using " ", but fields can be separated with more than one " "

Hello, let's say I have a text file: word11 word12 word13 word21 word22 word23 word31 word32 word33 and I want to put the second field of each line into a list: set list = `cut -d" " -f2 ${1}` and I use space (" ") as a delimiter, only that there's a catch: there can be more than... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for saving vertical datas to horizontal with "awk" or "cut"

hi, i have a file having datas like that ./a.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ..... ..... ... i want to save this datas to another file like that ./b.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ... ... ... i think awk can make this but how? :) waiting for ur help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mercury
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

"read" command ignoring leading spaces

I have to read a file line by line, change it and then update the file. Problem is, when i read the file, "read" command ignores leading spaces. The file is a script which is indented in many places for clarity. How to i make "read" command read leading spaces as well. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace "®" "™" "with Spaces in UNIX

do U know how to replace the registered trademark "®" symbol or trade Mark "™" "with Spaces in UNIX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MMeari
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies
SHAPELIB(1)							   User Commands						       SHAPELIB(1)

NAME
shprewind - fix polygon ring orientations in ESRI shapefiles SYNOPSIS
shprewind infile outfile DESCRIPTION
Makes a copy of the shapefile infile to outfile and fixes the orientation of points in the rings of Polygon, PolygonZ, and PolygonM typed shapes to conform to the shapefile specification. According to the specification, the vertices of outer rings should be oriented clockwise on the X/Y plane, and those of inner rings counterclockwise. Shapefiles actually consist of two files with the same basename and extensions .shp and .shx (or .SHP and .SHX) containing the shape data and shape index respectively. The files to open are determined by first stripping any filename extension from infile and attempting to open the files infile.shp or infile.SHP, and infile.shx or infile.SHX for the respective data and index files. The files to create from outfile are determined by stripping any filename extension from outfile and appending .shp and .shx suffixes for the respective data and index files. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful program execution. 1 Missing infile or outfile arguments, failed to open shapefile infile or create shapefile outfile. DIAGNOSTICS
The following diagnostics may be issued on stdout: Unable to open:infile Unable to create:outfile count objects rewound. AUTHORS
Frank Warmerdam (warmerdam@pobox.com) is the maintainer of the shapelib shapefile library. Joonas Pihlaja (jpihlaja@cc.helsinki.fi) wrote this man page. BUGS
The implementation assumes that there is at most one outer ring in each shape, that it is the first ring in a shape, and all other rings in a shape are inner rings. Polygons inside MultiPatch shape types aren't rewound. SEE ALSO
dbfadd(1), dbfcreate(1), dbfdump(1), dbf_dump(1), shpadd(1), shpcreate(1), shpdump(1) shapelib OCTOBER 2004 SHAPELIB(1)