Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: i/o kernel tunning
Operating Systems Linux i/o kernel tunning Post 302307381 by otheus on Wednesday 15th of April 2009 07:52:45 AM
Old 04-15-2009
Wow. What FTP server are you using? Is it ProFTPd or something else? What authentication policy is it using? If it is using PAM, what PAM modules are being processed?

Second, bump up sar monitoring. Here's what I have in my crontab (/etc/cron.d/sysstat):
Code:
# run system activity accounting tool every 10 minutes, capturing data every 30 seconds
*/10 * * * * root /usr/lib/sa/sa1 -d -I 30 20

In order for the "-d" option to take effect, you might need to remove the old sa files in /var/log/sa. Then hup the cron daemon (pkill -1 crond). After a day, then you can use "sar" to report on the statistics:
Code:
sar -d

for just the disk i/o. You might find your culprit there. If not, the post sar -A. THEN we can look at tuning.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

kernel 2.6.18

Again same issue with new kernel 2.6.18.1 root@world # iptables -L modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables iptables v1.2.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant_ohol
10 Replies

2. Linux

Kernel panic - not syncing: cannot execute a PAE-enabled kernel on PAE-less CPU

ok so I just installed fedora core 6 on my dell inspiron 700m and I go to boot into linux and I get this error. Has anyone seen this before? I also had XP Pro and Vista installed on this pc prior to putting fedora core 6 on the machine. I'm trying to setup a triple boot system. Please Help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave043
2 Replies

3. Programming

kernel-kernel call communication

hi all! i have developed a mechanism in system.c to count how many times each kernel call is called. The results are held in an array in system.c . What i want to do is to create a new kernel call which will print this array. I need help in passing the array from system.c to the new kernel call. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aureliano
5 Replies

4. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

5. AIX

How to convert a partition usin 64 bits kernel to 32 bits kernel?

Hello there: I know that exist a procedure to convert an OS using 32bits kernel to 64 bits kernel. But, exist a procedure to convert an OS using 64bits to 32 bits kernel? Please help me. Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GEIER
2 Replies

6. Linux

Supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" me

supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" message comes. I tried giving acpi=off to the kernel command line but same problem.It shows everything ok and no problem with memory and processors and power supplies.Wt could be the reason? It has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How does the kernel know where is /etc/ ?

If I create some hard disk partitions: /boot, /, /usr, /tmp ... , of cause the kernel is in the /boot partition, /etc/fstab is in the / partition not in /boot partition, when the system boot, how does the kernel know where is the / partition? Or I create a separated partition: /etc, can the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haixiao_liu
7 Replies

9. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
uptime(1)						      General Commands Manual							 uptime(1)

NAME
uptime, w - show how long system has been up and/or who is logged in and what they are doing SYNOPSIS
[user] [pset_list]] [user] [pset_list]] DESCRIPTION
prints the current time, the length of time the system has been up, the number of users logged on to the system, and the average number of jobs in the run queue over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the active processors. is linked to and prints the same output as displaying a summary of the current activity on the system. Options and recognize the following options: Print the current time, the length of time the system has been up, and the number of users logged on to the system in the first line of the output. The average number of jobs in the core over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the active processors is also printed. When used with the option, the load averages for the processor sets (psets) are calculated on a core basis. Suppress the first line and the heading line. This option should not be used with the option. This option assumes the use of the option to Use long output. This option assumes the use of the option to Print the current time, the length of time the system has been up, and the number of users logged on to the system in the first line of the output. The load averages over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the processor sets (psets) given in the command line, pset_list, are displayed in the subsequent lines. If no arguments are given, the load averages are displayed for all the psets in the system. If pset id of an empty pset is given in the command line, a corresponding message will be displayed. If the kernel does not have the pset capability, gives an error. The option cannot be used along with other options except Use the short form of output for displaying terminal information. The terminal name is abbreviated, and the login time and CPU times are suppressed. Print only the first line describing the overall state of the system. This is the default for the command. Print a summary of the current activity on the system for each user. This is the default for the command. EXAMPLES
The command: produces text resembling the following: depending upon the current status of the system. The command: gives the load average of all the psets in the system. If 0, 94, 95, and 97 are existing psets in the system, the output will look like the following: The command: gives output which looks like the following if 94 and 95 are valid pset ids: The command: gives the load average of the system, producing output resembling the following: The command: gives the load average of all the psets in the system. If 0 and 1 are psets in the system, the output will look like the following: AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. SEE ALSO
mpctl(2), pset_ctl(2). uptime(1)