Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace a range of text with sed or awk? Post 302307222 by TXTad on Wednesday 15th of April 2009 01:38:32 AM
Old 04-15-2009
I have the following file:

Code:
# Some comments
# S'more comments

[daemon]
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLoginDelay=10
TimedLogin=user1
# and maybe some other, unpredictable lines that I don't need or want

[security]

[xdmcp]

[gui]

I wish for it to become something like
Code:
# Some comments
# S'more comments

[daemon]
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLoginDelay=5
TimedLogin=user2

[security]

[xdmcp]

[gui]

So far, I have managed to come up with this awk script:
Code:
BEGIN {
    searching = 1; 
    done = 0
}
searching == 1 {
    print;
    if ($1 == "[daemon]") {
        searching = 0;
        print "TimedLoginEnable=true";
        print "TimedLoginDelay=5";
        print "TimedLogin=user2";
        print "";
    }
}
searching == 0 {
    if (done) {
        print;
    } else {
        getline;
        if (match($0, /^\[/)) {
            print;
            done = 1;
        }
    }
}

But I feel like the awk script should be more concise, and I also suspect that this can be done in sed, but I don't even know where to start on that one.

Thanks,
Tad

Last edited by TXTad; 04-15-2009 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: fixed code typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk date range?

Hi, I am trying to grep out a date range in an access log file. I defined the date like so; DATE1=$(date --date '1 hour ago' '+%m/%d/%y:%H:%M:%S') DATE2=$(date '+%m/%d/%y:%H:%M:%S') Then I just used cat to get the hits to the url into a results.txt; touch /tmp/results.txt cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Epx998
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed/awk to replace a block of text in a file?

My apologies if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been doing a lot of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. Specifically, I am wondering if I can utilize sed and/or awk to locate two strings in a file, and replace everything between those two strings... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddsupreme
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace range of characters in each line

Hi, I'm trying to replace a range of characters by their position in each line by spaces. I need to replace characters 95 to 145 by spaces in each line. i tried below but it doesn't work sed -r "s/^(.{94})(.{51})/\ /" inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt can someone please help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to replace a range of number

Trying to use SED to replace numbers that fall into a range but can't seem to get the logic to work and am wondering if SED will do this. I have a file with the following numbers 3 26 20 5. For the numbers that are greater than zero and less than 25, SED would add the word range after the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
7 Replies

5. Debian

Using awk and sed to replace text

Good Day Every one I have a problem finding and replacing text in some large files that will take a long time to manually edit. Example text file looks like this #Example Large Text File unix linux dos squid bind dance bike car plane What im trying to do is to edit all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxjunkie
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get range out using sed or awk, only if given pattern match

Input: START OS:: UNIX Release: xxx Version: xxx END START OS:: LINUX Release: xxx Version: xxx END START OS:: Windows Release: xxx Version: xxx ENDHere i am trying to get all the information between START and END, only if i could match OS Type. I can get all the data between the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dharmaraja
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print text in field if match and range is met

In the awk below I am trying to match the value in $4 of file1 with the split value from $4 in file2. I store the value of $4 in file1 in A and the split value (using the _ for the split) in array. I then strore the value in $2 as min, the value in $3 as max, and the value in $1 as chr. If A is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to remove specific column to one range

I need to remove specific column to one range source file 3 1 000123456 2 2 000123569 3 3 000123564 12 000123156 15 000125648 128 000125648 Output required 3 000123456 2 000123569 3 000123564 12 000123156 15 000125648 128 000125648 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to delete a regex between range of lines

Hi Guys I am looking for a solution to one problem to remove parentheses in a range of lines. Input file module bist_logic_inst(a, ab , dhd, dhdh , djdj, hdh, djjd, jdj, dhd, dhp, dk ); input a; input ab; input dhd; input djdj; input dhd; output hdh; output djjd; output jdj;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with awk or sed Command to Replace Text in Files

Hello Everyone, I have many files like so: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Within each file I have many lines of random text separated by commas like so: abcAAA,123,defAA,456777,ghiA,789 jklB,101,mnoBBB,11211,pqrB,13111 stuCC,415,vwxCCCC,161,yzaC,718 I am trying to use SED or AWK to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D3U5X
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)