Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Where is TERM variable set on linux machines ? Post 302307004 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 14th of April 2009 11:01:04 AM
Old 04-14-2009
is there a "/etc/profile" file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting TERM variable

Does anybody know how to give a default TERM variable while telnetting to Solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DPAI
1 Replies

2. Programming

Create a Term & Run chars on this Term

hi floks ! i'd like to know how can i transmete a character or a string from my source code to a term and make it interpret or un by the shell wich is running in my term. I'd like to create a Term from my code (and get its file descriptor) and then transmete each char typed on the keyboard to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_tical
1 Replies

3. Linux

trying to map win xp machines in a linux

How do I map some winxp machines on a linux machine using samba? any help will be apreciated Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raulb
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All, I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ? ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

5. HP-UX

Windows and Linux OS for HP-UX machines

Hi All, I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Anyone knows a site how to do a hardware check (ex. ioscan) on an HP-UX machine that runs in Linux,Solaris and Windows? I'm checking the docs.hp.com and it gives me HP-UX stuff. does HP even supports such highlevel commands we use on HP-UX OS?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grumash
2 Replies

6. AIX

SMIT - No TERM variable set

Hi, I am trying to run SMIT in AIX 5.3 but when invoking it it displays a message that says that the current TERM doesn't support full screen view. I know how to set a TERM variable but I don't know what will be the value to be set on TERM. How can I know that to run SMIT properly? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux machines hangs for a short while.

Hello! I'm managing a SuSE Linux 10 server which alot of users are using as login server and also as a build server.. There is a wierd problem with it cus' it hangs for about 30seconds ever so often and then resumes like before, this is when using SSH. It's not that heavley loaded but there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

system() function nd backtrick term in linux

I want to know about the difference between system() function nd backtrick term in linux???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mac91
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

set output of linux cmd as a variable in .exp

I am trying to make a script to take commands from a .txt file ( line by line) and pass it using send ( used in another function ) what i am trying to achieve is : set nol "`grep '' ${exp_path2}/cmdlist.txt | wc -l `" as in shell script nol=`grep '' $exp_path2/cmdlist.txt | wc -l` ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixyantar
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tool to compare two Linux machines

Hi ALL, I was looking out for any freeware tool which can compare config properties of 2 linux machines for ex java properties. Tried in Google but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies
UL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     UL(1)

NAME
ul -- do underlining SYNOPSIS
ul [-i] [-t terminal] [name ...] DESCRIPTION
Ul reads the named files (or standard input if none are given) and translates occurrences of underscores to the sequence which indicates underlining for the terminal in use, as specified by the environment variable TERM. The terminfo database is read to determine the appropri- ate sequences for underlining. If the terminal is incapable of underlining, but is capable of a standout mode then that is used instead. If the terminal can overstrike, or handles underlining automatically, ul degenerates to cat(1). If the terminal cannot underline, underlining is ignored. The following options are available: -i Underlining is indicated by a separate line containing appropriate dashes `-'; this is useful when you want to look at the underlin- ing which is present in an nroff output stream on a crt-terminal. -t terminal Overrides the terminal type specified in the environment with terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used: TERM The TERM variable is used to relate a tty device with its device capability description (see terminfo(5)). TERM is set at login time, either by the default terminal type specified in /etc/ttys or as set during the login process by the user in their login file (see setenv(1)). SEE ALSO
man(1), nroff(1), colcrt(1) BUGS
Nroff usually outputs a series of backspaces and underlines intermixed with the text to indicate underlining. No attempt is made to optimize the backward motion. HISTORY
The ul command appeared in 3.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
The ul command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution