Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String extraction from a text file Post 302306771 by vidyadhar85 on Monday 13th of April 2009 06:25:48 PM
Old 04-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanden
The following script code works great for extracting 'postmaster' from a line of text stored in a variable named string:
Code:
string="PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN"
stuff=$( echo $string | cut -d@ -f1 | awk '{ print $NF }' )
echo $stuff

However, I need to be able to get that line of text out of a text file rather than being in a variable, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks.
you mean you have that line in a file and you want to extract that line from a file??
or
you want to extract that line and from that line you want only string with @LOCALDOMAIN??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending string to text file based on search string

Hi, I need to append string "Hi" to the beginning of the lines containing some specific string. How can I achieve that? Please help. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for text extraction from a file

Hi All, I am new to Shell Scripting. I have a file consisting of XML messages.Each message is associated with a timestamp value(it is not a xml field).I need to extract\copy all messages in a particular time interval and put in another new file using Shell Scripting. My XML looks like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of perfect text from file.

Hi All, I have a file of the following format. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <tomcat-users> <role rolename="tomcat"/> <role rolename="role1"/> <role rolename="manager"/> <role rolename="admin"/> <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/> <user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extraction of data from a text file which follows certain pattern

hi everybody, i have a file, in it I need to extract some data that follows a particular pattern.. For example: my file contains like now running Speak225 sep 22 mon 16:34:05 2008 -------------------------------- ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohkris
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text extraction

Dear All, I am trying to extract text from a file containing cron entries. cat /var/tmp/cron_backups/debmed_tmp < * * * * * /bell > * * * * * /belly what I am trying to do is create two text files containing all entries that begin with < and another text files containing entries with > .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String extraction from log file

Hi, Log file will contain text like below: May 7 14:12:09 nap_fujitsu-nexus_pbb-denek-01-r_DE.de.ignite.net 108767: 115673: May 7 14:12:08: %RTT-3-IPSLATHRESHOLD: IP SLA Monitor(112): Threshold below for rtt May 8 14:12:09 nap_fujitsu-nexus_pbb-denek-01-r_DE.de.ignite.net 108767: 115673:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Extraction

I am trying to extract a time from the below string in perl but not able to get the time properly I just want to extract the time from the above line I am using the below syntax x=~ /(.*) (\d+)\:(\d+)\:(\d+),(.*)\.com/ $time = $2 . ':' . $3 . ':' . $4; print $time Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karan8810
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies
GENCAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 GENCAT(1)

NAME
gencat -- NLS catalog compiler SYNOPSIS
gencat output-file input-files... DESCRIPTION
The gencat utility merges the text NLS input files input-files... into a formatted message catalog file output-file. The file output-file will be created if it does not already exist. If output-file does exist, its messages will be included in the new output-file. If set and message numbers collide, the new message text defined in input-files... will replace the old message text currently contained in output-file. INPUT FILES
The format of a message text source file is defined below. Note that the fields of a message text source line are separated by a single space character: any other space characters are considered to be part of the field contents. $set n comment This line specifies the set identifier of the following messages until the next $set or end-of-file appears. The argument n is the set identifier which is defined as a number in the range [1, (NL_SETMAX)]. Set identifiers must occur in ascending order within a single source file, but need not be contiguous. Any string following a space following the set identifier is treated as a comment. If no $set directive is specified in a given source file, all messages will be located in the default message set NL_SETD. $del n comment This line deletes messages from set n from a message catalog. The n specifies a set number. Any string following a space following the set number is treated as a comment. $ comment A line beginning with $ followed by a space is treated as a comment. m message-text A message line consists of a message identifier m in the range [1, (NL_MSGMAX)]. The message-text is stored in the message catalog with the set identifier specified by the last $set directive, and the message identifier m. If the message-text is empty, and there is a space character following the message identifier, an empty string is stored in the message catalog. If the message-text is empty, and if there is no space character following the message identifier, then the existing message in the current set with the specified message identifier is deleted from the catalog. Message identifiers must be in ascending order within a single set, but need not be contiguous. The message-text length must be in the range [0, (NL_TEXTMAX)]. $quote c This line specifies an optional quote character c which can be used to surround message-text so that trailing space or empty messages are visible in message source files. By default, or if an empty $quote directive is specified, no quoting of message-text will be rec- ognized. Empty lines in message source files are ignored. The effect of lines beginning with any character other than those described above is unde- fined. Text strings can contain the following special characters and escape sequences. In addition, if a quote character is defined, it may be escaped as well to embed a literal quote character. line feed horizontal tab v vertical tab  backspace carriage return f form feed \ backslash ooo octal number in the range [000, 377] A backslash character immediately before the end of the line in a file is used to continue the line onto the next line, e.g.: 1 This line is continued on this line. If the character following the backslash is not one of those specified, the backslash is ignored. DIAGNOSTICS
The gencat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
catclose(3), catgets(3), catopen(3) STANDARDS
The gencat utility is compliant with the X/Open Portability Guide Issue 4 (``XPG4'') standard. AUTHORS
This manual page was originally written by Ken Stailey and later revised by Terry Lambert. BUGS
A message catalog file created from a blank input file cannot be revised; it must be deleted and recreated. BSD
June 11, 1997 BSD