Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script Conversion To Ubuntu 8.10 Post 302306730 by cfajohnson on Monday 13th of April 2009 04:03:24 PM
Old 04-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbxfan
I have a ping script I use on an old Open Step box (I guess its closely related to Mac OS X) and it runs fine, but now I built a system as a backup with Ubuntu 8.10 client and the script needs to be adapted a bit. Can anyone see where or how this needs to be done? The script starts and assigns the variables, but chokes on the ping portion of it which I think is syntax related

Have you read the man page for ping to see where its syntax differs from the Open Step version?
Quote:

There are a few places where the end of the line is missing due to my copy and paste,

Please edit your post and fix those places; you can't expect accurate help if we can't see exactly what you are doing.

While you're at it, please enclose the script in [code] tags.
Quote:

but the main ping part that's broke is all there.

Which part is that?

Have you tried just executing those parts (substituing reasonable values for the variables)?
Quote:
I am hoping there is a substitution or something obvious I need to make throughout the script that will make it work again. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script conversion to binary

My question is: i have a script called getevent to run i just call ./getevent can i convert this to make it binary executable and not letting my clients open it and see the code.??:( I am using Solaris 8. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

unix script and unix2dos conversion

Hi, I am a newbie and do not have much experience using unix. But I have been trying to understand it. I found the following unix script typeset -i n=0 while do sleep 5 echo "${n}:Fluent is running...." n=${n}+1 done I have the following doubts: 1) In the first line - I am aware... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthiksrao
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encoding conversion in PERL script

I have oracle 9i database installed with UTF-8 Encoding. I want a perl script that converts unicode to utf8 before commiting in database and utf8 to unicode when retreiving from database For example : the word Ïntêrnatïônàlîzâtion has to be stored in database as Internationalization and when retreived... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
6 Replies

4. AIX

Need timestamp conversion shell script !!

Can anyone provide me with a ksh or bash script which will accept a timestamp (format is YYYY-MM-DD-HH24.Mi.Ss) and time offset (in hours). The output will be (timestamp passed - time offset passed deducted from it) in the same YYYY-MM-DD-HH24.Mi.Ss format. Basically I am trying to convert the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibajighosh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for CSV conversion

thanks for allowing me join your forum i have an output of linux command "who" which provides following details..... CURRENT USER/ACCT INFO 17:31:36 up 4:49, 4 users, load average: 0.03, 0.04, 0.00 USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT root :0 - 12:59 ?xdm? 4:54 0.02s /bin/sh /usr/bi... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ayyappancheta
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text to XML conversion using script

Hi I have a file in the format with so many records DB2 Universal JDBC Driver Provider,wdialdcsq,New JDBC Datasource,jdbc/wdialdcsq,,dcsqdb2n,cldrdgw1.is.chrysler.com,2998,DB2,10,1,180,0,1800 i need to convert all these into <DataSource name="wdialODDC" maxConnection="10" minConnection="0 "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mskalyani9
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of Perl Script to Shell Script..

Hi Guys I am having a perl script that fetches exclude list from a unix client and I trying it to convert it to shell script but I am having issues please help me... #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Getopt::Std; # To turn on debuging (i.e. more information) specify... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pawan Ramnani
29 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch to shell script conversion

Hi All, I have a small tool which is currently configured in batch scripts only. But my need is to run it on Linux platform, so I have been trying to convert a batch script to shell script. below is the batch script: @echo off IF "%1"== "" GOTO ARGERR REM UPDATE THESE PROPERTIES TO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

powershell script to unix shell script conversion.

Here is a powershell script to use restful API to create ticket in our ticketing tool. Can anyone please convert it to a shell script sothat, I can run it in Unix servers, below is the code: $body = @{ Customer= ''test' Summary= 'test summary' Impact= '4-Minor/Localized' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeybhavesh18
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script ouput conversion

Hi All, I am trying to print all the packages info in solaris 11 using below script. #!/usr/bin/env bash pkginfo -l | egrep '(BASEDIR|NAME|VERSION)' | awk '{print}' > /tmp/cp1 /usr/bin/nawk -F: ' {for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) {gsub (/^ *| *$/, "", $i) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
5 Replies
ubuntu-dev-tools(5)						File Formats Manual					       ubuntu-dev-tools(5)

NAME
ubuntu-dev-tools - Configuration for the ubuntu-dev-tools package. DESCRIPTION
The ubuntu-dev-tools package is similar in scope to the devscripts(1) package, providing a collection of scripts which may be of use to Ubuntu and Debian developers or others wishing to build Debian packages. Some of these scripts have options which may be configured on a system-wide and per-user basis. These options are configured in devscripts.conf(5). All variables are described in the script's manpages. Package-wide variables begin with "UBUNTUTOOLS" and are listed below. Every script which reads the configuration files can be forced to ignore them by using the --no-conf command-line option. ENVIRONMENT
All ubuntu-dev-tools configuration variables can be set (and overridden) by setting them in the environment (unlike devscripts). In addition, several scripts use the following environment variables: UBUMAIL Overrides DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME when the target is clearly Ubuntu. Can either contain an e-mail address or Full Name <email@example.org>. DEBEMAIL, DEBFULLNAME As in devscripts(1). PACKAGE-WIDE VARIABLES The currently recognised package-wide variables are: UBUNTUTOOLS_BUILDER This specifies the preferred test-builder, one of pbuilder (default), sbuild, pbuilder-dist. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBIAN_MIRROR The preferred Debian archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ftp.debian.org/debian (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBSEC_MIRROR The preferred Debian security archive mirror. Should be of the form http://security.debian.org (no trailing slash). If not speci- fied, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_PORTS_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ports.ubuntu.com (no trailing slash). If not specified, the mas- ter will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_LPINSTANCE The launchpad instance to communicate with. e.g. production (default) or staging. UBUNTUTOOLS_MIRROR_FALLBACK Whether or not to fall-back to the master archive mirror. This is usually the desired behaviour, as mirrors can lag the masters. If on a private network with only a local mirror, you may want to set this to no. One of yes (default) or no. UBUNTUTOOLS_UPDATE_BUILDER Whether or not to update the test-builder before each test build. One of yes or no (default). UBUNTUTOOLS_WORKDIR The directory to use for preparing source packages etc. When unset, defaults to a directory in /tmp/ named after the script. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1), devscripts.conf(5) AUTHORS
This manpage was written by Stefano Rivera <stefanor@ubuntu.com>. ubuntu-dev-tools December 19 2010 ubuntu-dev-tools(5)